Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Bear Mountain Hike
Lens: various Camera: K-x Photo Location: Madawaska, Ontario 
Posted By: tessfully, 10-07-2011, 01:03 PM

About 1/2 hour east of the east gate of Algonquin Park is a little-known network of hiking trails that are just spectacular. It is possible to hike from sun up to sundown they are so extensive. I have tried to find out who implemented the trail system to no avail. These trails are not maintained, some of the signage is missing, some of the longer trails (especially the 11 km. moose trail) are very obscure. Norman and I are in the process of GPSing the routes and will continue with that work once the leaves are down.

Wilderness

Rugged

Here is a photo journal of our hike on October 5th, 2011.

There are many trails to explore after Bear Mountain. We went to Eagle Lake.

While the border collies play old Dreamer finds a shady bush to lie under and chew his stick.

thank you for looking!

Last edited by tessfully; 10-07-2011 at 07:05 PM.
Views: 1,394
10-07-2011, 01:10 PM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Magnificent colour and brilliance to these scenes Tess.
Thanks for sharing this beautiful escapade with us in photos.
10-07-2011, 01:53 PM   #3
krp
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nice series. My favorites are the 3rd and 4th. I love exploring overgrown, unmapped trails, you never know what you'll find.
10-07-2011, 01:59 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wonderful photos Tess, I do miss the red colors of Ontario. If I understand it correctly, this trail network is outside the park? Sure looks like some very nice hikes. Thanks for posting the pictures.

10-07-2011, 03:57 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Fantastic colors! You must have had a good time.
10-07-2011, 05:20 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Beautiful autumn colors mixed with the blue of sky and lake makes this a "picture perfect" series of photos. Those pups are always having fun aren't they. Don't get lost in the wilderness, we would miss your photos. TFS, Bob
10-07-2011, 07:22 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Bear Mountain is crown land. It would seem to be system of hiking trails developed maybe 30-40 years ago, and stil maintained by someone.. but no one seems to know who.
Gee Bob did you guys read about the to,e we go lost on Bear Mountain?

I can't remember if we were posting on the forum yet, when that happened. Anyway Here is the link.

10-07-2011, 07:25 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Beautiful images Tess. JIM
10-07-2011, 07:46 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Gee Bob did you guys read about the to,e we go lost on Bear Mountain
Norm, that was so nicely written by Tess, I guess she didn't realize that you were just taking the scenic route back to the car. I just get lost mainly in 40 foot motor homes towing a Jeep in downtown San Francisco and then going right on a one way street with a trolley car coming down right at us. I heard things coming out of my wife's mouth I have never heard before.
10-10-2011, 04:46 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you everyone for having a look and for the amazing comments! I was very lucky to catch the colour as yesterday I took a few people up Bear Mountain and all that was left were the yellows. All the reds and oranges almost completely gone in 4 days. I always wonder if the colour in the photos seems over the top, yet when standing on the lookout the view truly pops with vibrancy and brilliance.

We look forward to re-mapping the whole area. Heinrich, if you do get back out this way Madawaska is about 1/2 east of Algonquin Park. The hike up to the lookout is only a km. Also, Wilno is about 40 minutes from Madawaska on the same highway, also a really interesting and beautiful place as you probably found out on the internet. Hope one day you do come this way. It would be great to meet you!

Bob! wrong way down a San Francisco one way street with a motor home towing a jeep! I dunno... maybe I will take my chances in the woods!

thanks again everyone... your comments are truly appreciated!
10-10-2011, 06:53 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Wow beautiful place Tess some great sweeping shots of fall colors there - looks like you could spend a few months down those trails. Sure looks like the Dogs enjoyed it as well.
10-10-2011, 07:14 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Beautiful views - and love the dog shots as well. Looks like a great place to visit and see some Fall colors.
10-10-2011, 07:58 AM   #13
Closed Account

This is why Fall is one of my favorite seasons. You shot some beautiful scenes with excellent colors.
10-10-2011, 08:49 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Tess, these are all great! You make it look so easy! The colors pop and the compositions are all interesting. The dogs add a nice personal touch to the series.

TFS!

MK