Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
2 Likes  
Our new puppy - "Rocket"
Posted By: spyglass, 10-11-2011, 08:07 AM

This is the latest addition to our family. He is a little toy poodle. We named him Rocket. I used a single Alienbees strobe shot through a 16" umbrella for illumination.

Thanks for looking,

Spyglass
Views: 1,992
10-13-2011, 01:47 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I second Mickey's question. How did you get puppy to sit still? He looks pretty enamoured!

10-13-2011, 05:42 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
very very very sweet and a skill-full photo as well!
10-13-2011, 11:16 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks to everyone for looking and commenting.

Rocket is a Toy poodle and will not get much bigger. His mother's weight was 4lbs and his fathers was 3 1/2 lbs (some may call him a Tea Cup but I do not believe Tea Cup is a recognized category). He is 3 months old right now. Like most puppies he is a little clumsy, curious, and full of play. He is like a little battery and has a discharge and recharge pattern. To get him to sit still I played with him in the setting of the shoot so that he was familiar with the surrounding until most of his energy was expended Then when he was in a calm state I put him on the stool in the bowl. The main purpose of the bowl was to prevent him from falling off the stood. I put a treat in the bowl. He searched the bowl until he found it. I would then show him another treat and then put it in the bowl. This made a nice association with the bowl and made him happy and comfortable to be in the bowl. By the third cycle he knew to immediately look to my hand for a possible treat. This helped to position him, direct his head and gaze. Poodles are pretty smart when it comes to treats and food.

I remember someone once saying "never trust a person that doesn't like and respect animals". I think that every home should have fury friend. We have a cat as well. While I do have a great connection with my cat and lover her dearly, there is something about a dog that can't be matched. They are loyal and loving and honest to the core. Larryinic said "reminds me what is good in the world" - well said! He already recognizes the sound of my truck's horn when I lock my doors with the remote when coming home from work. I love to come home to his energetic welcome. I call it the happy puppy dance. I get down on all fours and he races in and out from between my arms and legs trying to give me kisses with each pass. When they love you it is 100%. His official colour is Cafe au lait so I suspect that he will lose much of his black colouring as he get a but older. Our last Toy was a silver Toy. He was jet black when we first got him and turned pure silver by 1 year old.

This was a shot I took on our back porch in natural light. The light was a bit harsh and the settling was not the best. A scrim to soften the light, and a better composition on my part would have produced a better result, but it was just a quick impromptu spur of the moment thing. I was not sure how he would take to being placed in my work boot. He is a buddy and seems to be happy as long as he is included.

Thanks again for looking,

Spyglass
10-13-2011, 01:52 PM   #19
Banned

Always fun to put a puppy into something like this bowl.

10-13-2011, 04:07 PM   #20
Veteran Member

that boot is bigger than the puppy!!!!

I can't manoeuvre my wolfies to do that. they're too big.

you almost want to cuddle that puppy to death it's so cute!