Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Morning walk: abandoned waterside building
Posted By: weatherwise2, 12-09-2007, 05:19 PM

I took these yesterday morning on my walk in my neighborhood. We had a our first light snow. It was dawn with some horizon clouds so in the the first photos everything was still gray. Took the exposes at +/- 2 ev I processed with HDR and minor adjustments in white balance and saturation. . Used the kit lens 18-55. Tell me what you think.

1. old building

2. Fireplace

3. sunrise

I want to find the history of this place.
Views: 1,439
12-10-2007, 03:50 AM   #2
Veteran Member

The B&W shot is nice but it seems a pity, what with such great colour in the stones. That third shot really brings it out, with the colour in the sky I just love it.

Shame about the losers who feel compelled to tag these old structures.
12-10-2007, 05:38 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Great spot and that third shot is fantastic.
12-10-2007, 05:02 PM   #4
JMR
Veteran Member

Nice work. I know it is not always possible to exclude elements from a photo, but if you look at the second shot with the branches infringing on the right and versus the first where the tree is included as a secondary motif, I think it looks much better inn the second shot. Very nice work, and the third shot needs no commentary from me- it is well done!

JMR

12-10-2007, 07:24 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
That last one is a wall hanger in the making. Great job.
12-10-2007, 07:26 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for the comments. I do have the first picture in color also but with the distance the color of the stone is not very prominent so I made B&W based on a red filter. This was one of those pictures that teh B&W filters made some difference.

I like the fireplace one also; I nver even saw the branchs when photgraphing since I was trying to get an angle to get the dual fireplaces under the arch.

For the sunrise shot I set on a log for about 15 min in about 25F temps waiting for the sun to get past the monring water haze.

I was walking the dog about 6 am and saw some scattered clouds to the east and thought it would make a nice sunrise and had wanted to go visit this site about a 1.5 miles from my house. I have to walk along the waters edge to get to this property without going over private property.

I want to go after a full snowstorm this winter.
12-10-2007, 07:49 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Yep, that last shot is really nice. The colors in the bricks set nicely with the beautiful sunrise. Nicely seen and captured.

12-19-2007, 07:22 PM   #8
Inactive Account

i really like the last one alot
12-19-2007, 08:01 PM   #9
Veteran Member

#2 and #3 do it for me - the sun streak in the water and the color of the stones are great - nice series.
12-19-2007, 09:31 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I very much like the first one - it's very cold and bleak - matches the weather and the mood that is conveyed.

I also like the third one - the colors of the sky and the stone just go together very nicely. Well Done!!