Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
All dressed up
Posted By: AKiss20, 12-09-2007, 08:38 PM

Hey all, just three shots to share so far. These were taken prior to my semi-formal. The two girls were taken by myself, the guy (aka me) was taken by my mom (who has no concept of composition and took a full length portrait, sans one of my feet Quick crop later, I think I came up with something that works). C&C highly welcome

All taken with K10D, FA50, SB25 in a silver umbrella for key (camera left) with 1/2 CTO, 344D bounced off the wall for fill.

My friend is such a model, Russian beauty indeed!

(Sorry if this model broke your screen )

Cheers!
Views: 1,096
12-09-2007, 09:00 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Hmmm...

The first shot for some reason bothers me a little. The first thing I noticed was the right hand was chopped off and then I looked deeper and the pose seemed very unnatural. The lighting was spot on but there seems to be a missing shadow on the wall? I noticed that from shot number 2 where the lighting was the same but she cast a shadow upon the wall... maybe I'm not reverse engineering that light well enough.

Second shot the pose is very natural and you can really see the catch light in her eyes. Great capture!

The third one is gorgeous!

Well done and it's great you're experimenting with light!
12-09-2007, 09:03 PM   #3

Original Poster
You are quite right, there was a shadow with the first shot but I wanted to go for a more high-key fashion look, maybe not very successfully. What about the pose seems unnatural, how could I improve it in the future? I was very dissapointed to see her right hand chopped off. Parents were hovering so I couldn't direct her as much as I would have liked.

Thanks for the comments!!
12-09-2007, 09:39 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by AKiss20 Quote
You are quite right, there was a shadow with the first shot but I wanted to go for a more high-key fashion look, maybe not very successfully. What about the pose seems unnatural, how could I improve it in the future? I was very dissapointed to see her right hand chopped off. Parents were hovering so I couldn't direct her as much as I would have liked.

Thanks for the comments!!
For that high-key effect try full power with your most powerful flash against the wall and at an angle that makes the light reflect directly behind the subject. Your second light would be on the subject set up high and lit down to cause some fall off towards the bottom. You'll have to find the balance of the lights, probably f8 or higher and make sure to trim the light on the subject by moving the light either forward or backward instead of messing with the power unless you catch shadows from a railing or something. Don't be afraid to blow highlights, it's part of the style

The reason I think it's not natural is the position of her left leg and her open body. Just doesn't seem like someone would sit down like that while number 2 seems like a more natural sitting pose. If there was one more step and she could've planted her heel it would be a bit better, but I'm being a bit too picky about it LOL. The hand is the only major thing thats taking away from the great shot, but it led me to look around and see the image as I did.