Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Jasper Wildlife
Lens: Various Camera: K5 Photo Location: Jasper, Canada 
Posted By: daacon, 10-12-2011, 12:08 PM

Caught this Caribou up in the hills he stopped for a few snaps

This guy was just on the side of the road.

You have seen this fellow and his mate before just some different shot - our friendly (well at a distance anyway) moose

I am most happy with these last two becuase - this was immediately after my Lens Release buttom fell off my K5 and I was chasing this guy with the DA* 16-50 ! (Before I found my screw driver set where I could use it to release the lens)

Views: 1,047
10-12-2011, 12:49 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I really like the last two Dave with the birch trees.--charliezap
10-12-2011, 02:07 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Dave these are all great! I especially like 3, unique composition, beautiful light and detail, 5 is special as well. Thanks for sharing them.
10-12-2011, 02:14 PM   #4
Veteran Member

The contrast of the stark birch trees against the dark color of the animals coat works very well in the last two shot's.

10-12-2011, 03:15 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
That is a nice set of pictures Dave, second last one is my favourite but man that is a weird rack on that fellow.
10-12-2011, 03:53 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The last two look like in-camera filters were used. That extra light or whatever happened turned out cool looking.
10-13-2011, 05:08 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by charliezap Quote
I really like the last two Dave with the birch trees.--charliezap
Thanks Charlie - they did offer a great contrast , just wish I had a larger lens on.

QuoteOriginally posted by riff Quote
Dave these are all great! I especially like 3, unique composition, beautiful light and detail, 5 is special as well. Thanks for sharing them.
Thanks riff appreciate the comments , the big Moose was hiding at first but finally came out for some clear shots. It's all timing 10 minutes either way and we would have missed him. The Elk was very accomadating and let us shoot until we had enough.

QuoteOriginally posted by snappychappy Quote
The contrast of the stark birch trees against the dark color of the animals coat works very well in the last two shot's.
Thanks snappychappy - he was all wet (comming from a dip in the Lake I assume) made he coat a lot darker and worked well for the shots.

QuoteOriginally posted by Heinrich Lohmann Quote
That is a nice set of pictures Dave, second last one is my favourite but man that is a weird rack on that fellow.
Thanks Heinrich - we think this fellow lost a battle the night before (there were stories of a couple of Staggs battleing in that area the previous evening) - he may have damaged his rack there.

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
The last two look like in-camera filters were used. That extra light or whatever happened turned out cool looking.
Thanks Bob think I can convince Charlie I used an in camera filter for his contest ?

10-13-2011, 05:34 AM   #8
Veteran Member

What wild set of photos! I love each one for the detail. Those birch trees are amazing too!
10-13-2011, 05:42 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Outstanding, buddy. The last one, especially, is amazing - particularly since you were shooting with a relatively short lens. Sorry to hear about your camera.

Jer
10-13-2011, 08:56 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'm back to enjoy these fine images again.

On the off chance some viewers have never seen a Moose, they are H U G E! Wikipedia states;
On average, an adult moose stands 1.8–2.1 m (6–7 ft) high at the shoulder.
Males weigh 380–720 kg (850–1580 pounds) and females weigh 270–360 kg (600–800 pounds).

I believe the trees are trembling aspen not birch.

Thanks again Dave, wonderful series!

Regards
10-13-2011, 09:14 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Great shots bud. I remember that Elk and how the horns were broken from a earlier fight. Great seeing you for breakfast today. JIM
10-13-2011, 11:22 AM   #12

great shots!
10-14-2011, 05:52 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tessfully Quote
What wild set of photos! I love each one for the detail. Those birch trees are amazing too!
Thanks Tess appreciate you stopping by ! As riff pointed out they are aspens (look a lot like birch though)

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Outstanding, buddy. The last one, especially, is amazing - particularly since you were shooting with a relatively short lens. Sorry to hear about your camera.
Jer
Thanks Jer apprecaige the comments - ahh stuff happens eh Camera is alerady back from Pentax Canada in full reapair (only took 15 days!)

QuoteOriginally posted by riff Quote
I'm back to enjoy these fine images again.
On the off chance some viewers have never seen a Moose, they are H U G E! Wikipedia states;
On average, an adult moose stands 1.8–2.1 m (6–7 ft) high at the shoulder.
Males weigh 380–720 kg (850–1580 pounds) and females weigh 270–360 kg (600–800 pounds).
I believe the trees are trembling aspen not birch.
Thanks again Dave, wonderful series!
Regards
Thanks riff he was a young buck my brother in law who hunts moose had a look at the picture and he fiqured he was about 3 or 4 years old - but youy are correct they are huge beasts (and you also correct thos are aspens).

QuoteOriginally posted by Jimbo Quote
Great shots bud. I remember that Elk and how the horns were broken from a earlier fight. Great seeing you for breakfast today. JIM
Thankjs Jimbo the pleasure was all mine as you bought Always great to see ya let me know next time you are in town.

QuoteOriginally posted by burnie Quote
great shots!
Thanks burnie appreciate you stopping by.