Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Back to the Woods
Lens: Tamron 52E 90mm f2.5 Camera: K-7 Photo Location: Aurora, CO ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/1000s Aperture: F3.5 
Posted By: Just1MoreDave, 10-12-2011, 06:49 PM

These are mule deer, frequent travelers on the greenway behind our house. I have lots of photos of them with the inappropriate lens that happens to be on the camera when they show up. I thought this series was interesting not for image quality, but something I noticed about their behavior. The herd decided that they'd avoid a nearby pedestrian so they stopped grazing and formed up to get back to cover. In the series, you can see the lead deer shift their ears away from the threat 200 yards to their right, forward to check out the woods in front of them. The deer in the center of the formation are listening to each side, and in the rear, they're listening behind them.

The aperture was a mistake but the lens is very forgiving of mistakes.
Views: 596
10-12-2011, 07:16 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Interesting post Dave, I have noticed basically the same thing with the pronghorn antelope. It seem like each one has a certain job or assignment. I have seen a couple of groups of deer down here in Peyton, CO., but they are even more cautious than the antelope. Looks like the deer in the rear is a young buck who is moving his girls out of danger. tfs, Bob

Last edited by Bob Harris; 10-12-2011 at 09:39 PM.
10-13-2011, 05:02 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Well spotted they are shy creatures for sure - keeps them safe I suppose.