Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1st signs of snow
Posted By: thomasjmpark, 12-10-2007, 08:24 AM

The snow has hit the hilltops overnight and its cold enough for it not to melt away. I reckon a few more weeks and it will be settling at ground level.

Views: 1,392
12-10-2007, 04:41 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Both weeks of winter must be unbearable - I feel for you. (We're knee-deep in the hoopla already.)

Just kidding - Nice pics Tom!

I know you have shown us lots of the country side; maybe, if you had the time and inclination, you could take a few pictures in the town - interesting buildings and such like. You've given us a wee peek in the last one, but I am eager to see more; the town looks so quaint.
12-10-2007, 04:53 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Both weeks of winter must be unbearable - I feel for you.
lol, i wish! I agree its not as harsh as where you are though, i really feel for you

Yeh i havnt taken many of the town, it is quaint but ive been here for almost a year and am kinda blind to its attraction now! Dont get me wrong its a great place though. Ill get some shots and post them so you and others can have a look.

Thanks for comments
12-10-2007, 07:21 PM   #4
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by J.Scott Quote
Both weeks of winter must be unbearable - I feel for you. (We're knee-deep in the hoopla already.)
Cracks me up. It was -22C this morning and the car said YGTBF Kidding, when i turned the key!!

Nice pics Tom and i agree show us the town. Looks nice!

12-10-2007, 07:32 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Man I would never get tired of that view. Great shots.

Peter "It was -22C this morning and the car said YGTBF Kidding, when i turned the key!!"
that is funny.
12-11-2007, 05:41 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Beautiful shots, wow...green grass, running water and sunshine...... I'll just stare at these and avoid looking out the window for the next few months.
12-11-2007, 07:21 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Wow! It looks sort've cold, you even got snow! Winter has only had fleeting appearances here, as it was ~40F here yesterday, and ~70F today. Looks like a beautiful place to live; how far away are the hills?

12-12-2007, 03:45 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks guys

Matthew, the 1st shot was taken from my bedroom window, the hill you see is about a 15 min walk to the base, about 4 hours to the top and back.
12-12-2007, 06:39 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Is that pic of the river looking sort of westward? The reason I asked is that on Google Earth I see a river to the northend of town which flows into the lake. Just to the west of that is a huge castle-like building - is that an old structure or something made to look old?
12-12-2007, 08:10 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Hi Jeff. Yes the pic is looking westward, but not where you think, i think! If you type CA12 5LQ into the 'Fly to' box on google earth it will take you directly to my house, the mountain in the photo is Skiddaw which if you pan north a bit you will see, next to Little Man. Latrigg in front of it is a little mound compared to Skiddaw!

We did a night walk a few weeks ago up to the top of Skiddaw at about 2am and on the way back decided to go down the big gully on the left of the peak inbetween Carl Side. Great fun but very steep!

The river I live on is called the River Greta which flows westward into the River Derwent and in turn that flows into the lake Derwentwater. The old building im not sure about to be honest, looks to me like an old mansion of some sort but its hidden by trees on ground level.

Cheers
12-13-2007, 01:14 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Ok - I am properly oriented now! Skiddaw does look rather intimidating yet intriguing to ascend.

The structure I was referring to is pictured below. From this aspect it looks does like a rambling mansion (like you said) but I am just not sure what the heck it is. I like old buildings. In our area of Canada most buildings are fairly new - less than 50 years old. Anything older was generally not built to last and gets torn down to make way for new (shoddily) constructed buildings.

Last edited by J.Scott; 12-20-2007 at 03:22 AM.
12-13-2007, 06:28 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Beautfiull scenic country side have to agree with all - I love Peter's comment on his car ... have heard that many times myself.