Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Frozen
Posted By: clarenceclose, 12-19-2006, 10:34 PM

Local shot of Winter in west Pocatello.
The town near us is called Chubbuck.
I knew that Pocatello was named after a Shosone/Bannok Indian Chief so I asked around about the name Chubbuck and was told it was Indian for West Wind. Could be true as the wind blows from the West a lot.

Matter of fact, when I moved here and commented on the cold wind the old timers told me "Yep the wind blows all the time and there ain't nothin' between here and Boise to slow it down except a barbed wire fence, and we think that blew down years ago."

Your thoughts?

Last edited by clarenceclose; 01-25-2007 at 01:13 PM.
Views: 4,596
12-20-2006, 03:36 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thank you for your comments and critiques.
The variety of perspectives is always interesting and fun.

QuoteOriginally posted by doggydude Quote
5 - my only point of criticism is that the snow is almost too much - it's most of the image and is VERY bright white - personal taste would have me dialing back the white a bit to tone down the overall image - introduce a hint of gray to tame the white a smidge. Again, though, this is just a personal taste item.
Snow is alway a struggle but one thing I have found out....snow looks terrible to me gray. When I first shot snow I used the AWB without EV and the snow did not look/feel the same as when I was out in it. I typically go AWB with a +1.5 -+2 on EV and it comes out more like snow. It is always a difficult subject. My most troublesome shot is shooting toward the sun, trying to capture the 'diamonds' on the snow. It always comes out blown out or muddy gray. Anyone have any clues as to a better way to handle the 'into the sun reflection' shot?

12-20-2006, 04:44 PM   #17

Photos: Albums
Yeah, snow is probably one of the most difficult things to get right - not that you're not trying, but the light meter, I think, kinda gives up with so much light.

In the end, it's a great pic clarence.

Snow should be white, and it is, so I'm going to go have an eggnog now and be silent for a bit.