Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Montreal - city view. Which one do you prefer?
Lens: DA35/f2.8 Camera: K20D Photo Location: Montreal ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/125s Aperture: F6.7 
Posted By: ducdao, 10-16-2011, 08:25 PM

Hi all - it was a cloudy day today in Montreal. Went to Mount-Royal to shoot and I was playing around with HDR with some pictures to increase the dynamic range.

Below I have two versions of the same image. One is using tonemap and the other is fusion technique. Let me know which one do you prefer and why.

Do also let me know if you find both sucks

1)

2)

Views: 715
10-16-2011, 11:13 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The first one by far, the sky is torched out in the second, I like the harder contrast.. but loosing all the sky details destroyed it for me.. almost like there should be a happy medium.. just a little more contrast in the first one so the grey's in the clouds aren't quite so bland would be my ideal setting.
10-17-2011, 01:57 AM   #3

I hope you don't take offence, but "both sucks" as you suggest... ;-) Some scenes simply don't lend themselves to the HDR treatment. I agree with Chex about the sky: I like my highlight details! Yes the 1st has more potential, but it's too warm for my taste and the mid tones get muddied by the tonemapping. It also simply doesn't 'read' right having the values at the bottom of the frame higher than the sky - in this case anyway. BTW, have they got the Champlain bridge repaired yet? ;-) (I've stayed in the apartments to the right of the McGill Medical Building when my dad lived there - sometime in the last century...)
10-17-2011, 06:13 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DevKom Quote
I hope you don't take offence, but "both sucks" as you suggest... ;-) Some scenes simply don't lend themselves to the HDR treatment. I agree with Chex about the sky: I like my highlight details! Yes the 1st has more potential, but it's too warm for my taste and the mid tones get muddied by the tonemapping. It also simply doesn't 'read' right having the values at the bottom of the frame higher than the sky - in this case anyway. BTW, have they got the Champlain bridge repaired yet? ;-) (I've stayed in the apartments to the right of the McGill Medical Building when my dad lived there - sometime in the last century...)
Not at all, I like candid and constructive feedbacks. That's how we all learn. You made good points. I'll try to rework on the first one.

As for the Champlain bridge, it's still in pretty bad shape. The government just announced a couple weeks ago that they will build a completely new bridge, tolls will be applied of course.

See Dix ans pour construire un nouveau pont Champlain à péage | Transports if you can read French or use Google translate.

10-17-2011, 06:14 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Chex Quote
The first one by far, the sky is torched out in the second, I like the harder contrast.. but loosing all the sky details destroyed it for me.. almost like there should be a happy medium.. just a little more contrast in the first one so the grey's in the clouds aren't quite so bland would be my ideal setting.
Thanks, Chex. I'll rework on the first one.
10-17-2011, 06:13 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Location: Jessica Lake, Whiteshell Provincial Park, Manitoba, Canada
Photos: Gallery | Albums
As a newbie who at this point can't "technically" explain why - I preferred the first of the two but both appeared dark (as in mood) to me.
10-17-2011, 06:49 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bigted Quote
As a newbie who at this point can't "technically" explain why - I preferred the first of the two but both appeared dark (as in mood) to me.
Dark because it's autumn and winter will likely be darker...
10-17-2011, 08:20 PM   #8
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The sky scrappers on the right side are tilted to the right--that is a major detraction!