Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Low tide winter.............[6 IMG]
Posted By: Duplo, 12-10-2007, 07:16 PM

Well been back in Nuuk for a week now and sunday afternoon, actually just after a long brunch i went for a long walk alone, just me, my Camera and tripod.

Light these days are truly a strange thing, something like between 1000 and 1400 hrs and the sun barely rises over the horizon during that time, anyway it was a beautiful walk during the southern coastline of Nuuk.

The low tide created some beautiful contrasts:

And somebody forgot to bring in their Kayaks for the winter:

Now this is a greenlandic football field:

Ohh and I just love the location of this lonely house:

Thanks for looking, comments and critics are as always highly welcome
Views: 2,958
12-10-2007, 09:25 PM   #2
Inactive Account

ahh... to have such scenery in your own backyard.... love 'em!
12-10-2007, 09:54 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You live in a beautiful country Thomas.

I would love to spend some time there some day, and explore it.
12-10-2007, 10:57 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Thomas, that first image is magical. I love the movement in the water and the rocks as a forground to the snowcovered landscape and homes. The fifth image is perfect to me too. They are all great as usual from you Thomas. I know I've asked this before but you know every time I look at the images from your area I always think, "what do people do there? how do they make a living?". It is stunningly beautiful and yet so different from the land I live in it seems like another world all together. Thank you so much for posting Thomas I always enjoy!

12-11-2007, 03:54 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hamidlmt Quote
ahh... to have such scenery in your own backyard.... love 'em!
Thank you Hamid.
Well we actually do not have backyards up here, we have backrocks mostly

QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
You live in a beautiful country Thomas.

I would love to spend some time there some day, and explore it.
Thank you Stu.
You are welcome up here any day... First round of beers are on me

QuoteOriginally posted by LaRee Quote
Thomas, that first image is magical. I love the movement in the water and the rocks as a forground to the snowcovered landscape and homes. The fifth image is perfect to me too. They are all great as usual from you Thomas. I know I've asked this before but you know every time I look at the images from your area I always think, "what do people do there? how do they make a living?". It is stunningly beautiful and yet so different from the land I live in it seems like another world all together. Thank you so much for posting Thomas I always enjoy!
Thank you so much LaRee, your are almost too kind I think.

Well They do what they do in most other towns, except we have quite a few fishermen and hunters here, but that aside pretty much what you do in any other capital of the world, just fewer of each

That said it is kind of a world of its own, in my line of work (business development) I am almost daily confronted with the wording:
"Well this is how things work in Greenland..."
12-11-2007, 04:03 PM   #6
Veteran Member

These are all very good. Great job with exposure with all that snow. Any tips or info on the shots you care to share?
12-11-2007, 05:07 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thomas - you've got the "eye" for sure and I wish I could post process as well. I love 'em all, but I'm especially attracted to 2 and 3 - the little bit of color here and there is an ironic counter point to the stark, almost black and white landscape. Shorn of all the BS . . . these are really cool pictures!

Jer

12-11-2007, 05:31 PM   #8
Inactive Account

amazing images thomas.
how do you protect your gear in this conditions?
12-11-2007, 05:39 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Excellent shots as usual Thomas, I am especially taken by the second and the second to last shots. The second almost looks "story book", and I just love the sky in the second to last the small house giving counterpoint to the immensity of the natural beauty.

NaCl(you have a great eye, and I always enjoy your shots)H2O
12-11-2007, 05:45 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Thomas, As usual you have great photos of an area of the world so few of us will ever have a chance to visit. You have captured an interesting light in these photos. I would think it is a combination of the low sun, low ocean or cold weather clouds, and snow surfaces. It is very gentle and soft on the eyes and on the structures. I still envy you for this location.
12-12-2007, 07:36 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vievetrick Quote
These are all very good. Great job with exposure with all that snow. Any tips or info on the shots you care to share?
Thank you Pat,

Well I gues custom WB (you will need to finetune it on a calibrated monitor later), but you will be able to get close on the scene.

Exposure wise, with a WB that is close to right, you will need to devolop a feel for thee K10D's matrix metering or as I do meter the scene manually and expose for that. I am usually within 1/2 a stop from optimal, so the K10D actually do behave rather consistantly with snow, once you have figured it out.

Oddly enough a polarizer is a great help when there is sunlight or semiclear skies and snow it makes both WB and exposure a little mor consistant.

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Thomas - you've got the "eye" for sure and I wish I could post process as well. I love 'em all, but I'm especially attracted to 2 and 3 - the little bit of color here and there is an ironic counter point to the stark, almost black and white landscape. Shorn of all the BS . . . these are really cool pictures!

Jer
Thank you Jer,
Most of my PP is actually done at the scene and usually involves ND grads, polarizers, or flash or even a combination of all of them. The RAW conversion finetunes exposure and WB (if necessary), CS2 handles the rest. I am really not the best PP'er in the world.

QuoteOriginally posted by PaengBonafe Quote
amazing images thomas.
how do you protect your gear in this conditions?
Thank you .

The weather seals of the K10D is a blessing in that respect and has proven to be extremely well thought out., I usually shoot with IF primes during winter (the FA*24 for these shots) ohh and heavy padded and almost waterproof bags, loads of silica gel in the bags as well.

But that is it, the K10D, is one tough performer.

QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
Excellent shots as usual Thomas, I am especially taken by the second and the second to last shots. The second almost looks "story book", and I just love the sky in the second to last the small house giving counterpoint to the immensity of the natural beauty.

NaCl(you have a great eye, and I always enjoy your shots)H2O
Thank you NaCl(almsot blushing here)H2O
I am glad you like what I do and greatly appreciate the compliment.
Nature up here however makes me look better than I really am

QuoteOriginally posted by weatherwise2 Quote
Thomas, As usual you have great photos of an area of the world so few of us will ever have a chance to visit. You have captured an interesting light in these photos. I would think it is a combination of the low sun, low ocean or cold weather clouds, and snow surfaces. It is very gentle and soft on the eyes and on the structures. I still envy you for this location.
Thanks man.
You are spot on in your assement of the weather situation:
Low sun, low tide and cold weather clouds almost covering the sky.
I hope you will get a hance to visit it some day. it is something else.