Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  
The Leaf Party
Posted By: jsherman999, 10-18-2011, 11:25 PM

Only the adults questioned what a Leaf Party was.

The kids just heard the name and understood.

3, 4 (cold, dada)

Views: 2,066
10-19-2011, 09:19 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marcus Kauffman Quote
love this series. Very well done!

Thanks for sharing,

Marcus
Thanks Marcus!

QuoteOriginally posted by christophleipzig Quote
Nice series!

Which lenses are the "various"?
Thanks! Nikon 85, 180, 300.

QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
wow! The last one is a great capture! love it!

Lee
Thank you Lee. I think her parents want that one.

10-19-2011, 09:22 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by EdwardConde Quote
Great series... Really like how you captured the party... Just saw a video podcast on a kids photographer.. One of her tips was to just let them do their thing...

Thanks for sharing
Thanks Ed, and yes, 'their thing' is what's worth capturing.

QuoteOriginally posted by WWIFA Quote
Sweet images! When I saw the first one I laughed out loud.
Bruce
Thx Bruce!

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
I guess I'm old. However, most the trees out here (few they are) have needles or fronds.
'Needle Party' just wouldn't be the same
10-19-2011, 10:09 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The last photo is perfect, Jay.
10-20-2011, 07:22 AM   #19
Inactive Account

I just have as small critic.

I think, the pictures are technically speaking really impressive. But the last 6 images leave a strange impression to me. Somehow cause of the very bokeh-ed backgrounds and the very short aperture-time the children seem to me very frozen and somehow unnatural.

I think it is very nice, to point out persons in portraits - but here there are just disconnected somehow and stand alone and frozen in a blurred space. That irritates me.

10-20-2011, 09:34 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
Thanks! No, unfortunately my 77ltd is on loan to a Kx-shooting co-worker These are three Nikon lenses, the 85 1.8, 180 2.8 and 300 f4. 180 & 300 are about equivalent to the DA* 200 and DA* 300, but the 85 can't quite match the 77.
I'm guessing you shot with a Nikon body then too?

I love the colour rendering, but I especially like the three-dimensional feel in the first photo and that's something I've only seen with a select few lenses, the 77 being one of them.

I think you've done a nice job at capturing the scenes.
10-20-2011, 09:43 AM   #21
Veteran Member

As exceptional as ever, Jay. Love the youthful exuberence and emotion captured here - puts a big smile on my face.

Best,
Nate
10-20-2011, 06:54 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by v5planet Quote
The last photo is perfect, Jay.

Thanks!

QuoteOriginally posted by sebberry Quote
I'm guessing you shot with a Nikon body then too?

I love the colour rendering, but I especially like the three-dimensional feel in the first photo and that's something I've only seen with a select few lenses, the 77 being one of them.

I think you've done a nice job at capturing the scenes.
Thank you very much.

QuoteOriginally posted by nate_b Quote
As exceptional as ever, Jay. Love the youthful exuberence and emotion captured here - puts a big smile on my face.

Best,
Nate

Thx Nate!

10-20-2011, 07:03 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I just have as small critic.

I think, the pictures are technically speaking really impressive. But the last 6 images leave a strange impression to me. Somehow cause of the very bokeh-ed backgrounds and the very short aperture-time the children seem to me very frozen and somehow unnatural.

I think it is very nice, to point out persons in portraits - but here there are just disconnected somehow and stand alone and frozen in a blurred space. That irritates me.

Interesting, thanks for the feedback. You mean you think a smaller aperture, less blurred background, subjects maybe tied to the environment more would have been better?

I usually do like to tie in the environment a bit, however there the background had a part of garage, van, some random objects... I thought dissolving the background with wide-open shots actually worked better, since the subjects wouldn't have been served by the less-than-interesting background. And they float a bit like that, in their own joyful world... I don't know, works for me.

Below are examples of the type of shot where I think the background belongs as part of the shot, fully:

And here's a telephoto shot where I think the background, while blurred, plays a big role too - because it adds to the shot, not distracts (no aesthetically-banal objects like minivans in other words )

10-20-2011, 10:16 PM   #24
Veteran Member

I agree.. the background add to the story in the photos.. love B&Ws!!!
10-21-2011, 08:00 AM   #25
Inactive Account

Interesting, thanks for the feedback. You mean you think a smaller aperture, less blurred background, subjects maybe tied to the environment more would have been better?
Hei, I wouldn't say that in general. It can really a beautiful effect, like in the first pictures, to blur the background completely.

My - and the impression of a friend - of the last pictures was just, that there it lacks a bit of life. Not even only because of the blurred background but as well cause it just looks frozen - like the children would be wax-figures. I cannot really explain why exactly it's the case.

But in general I like the pictures - I would not have commented if not. And we are here already at a high level of critic.

And the added black and whites are great! Story inside.
10-21-2011, 10:13 AM   #26

QuoteQuote:

And here's a telephoto shot where I think the background, while blurred, plays a big role too - because it adds to the shot, not distracts (no aesthetically-banal objects like minivans in other words )

Jay, I love this last b&w. Can you tell me what lens you used? I know you have some manual tele's and I'm just curios. A manual is the only thing I can afford right now for a wide aperture-tele. All I have on the long-end is the DA L 55-300 and it's too soft at 300mm. Would appreciate your advice on this.
10-21-2011, 10:08 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by EdwardConde Quote
I agree.. the background add to the story in the photos.. love B&Ws!!!
Thanks Ed.

Hei, I wouldn't say that in general. It can really a beautiful effect, like in the first pictures, to blur the background completely.

My - and the impression of a friend - of the last pictures was just, that there it lacks a bit of life. Not even only because of the blurred background but as well cause it just looks frozen - like the children would be wax-figures. I cannot really explain why exactly it's the case.
Perhaps it's the processing you don't like... anyway, I really do appreciate the feedback.

QuoteOriginally posted by Antifreez Quote
Jay, I love this last b&w. Can you tell me what lens you used? I know you have some manual tele's and I'm just curios. A manual is the only thing I can afford right now for a wide aperture-tele. All I have on the long-end is the DA L 55-300 and it's too soft at 300mm. Would appreciate your advice on this.
That was the Nikon 300 f4 wide-open. If you're looking for a very good, affordable MF telephoto, I highly recommend the S-M-C Takumar 200 f/4. Silky-smooth MF action, a beautiful lens to own and shoot. You'll need to add in the cost of an m42 adapter, but then you can start shopping for Takumars!

These are from the S-M-C Tak 200 f4:

10-22-2011, 12:05 AM   #28

Great works!

My heart melted when I saw the 3-5...
10-22-2011, 01:05 PM   #29

That was the Nikon 300 f4 wide-open. If you're looking for a very good, affordable MF telephoto, I highly recommend the S-M-C Takumar 200 f/4. Silky-smooth MF action, a beautiful lens to own and shoot. You'll need to add in the cost of an m42 adapter, but then you can start shopping for Takumars!

These are from the S-M-C Tak 200 f4:
Thanks a million, Jay, for the recommendation - and for the extra examples. I see a couple nice copies of this 200mm on Ebay for a decent price.

One more question for you if you don't mind: is there a specific brand of the m42 adapter that you have? I see a Fotodiox Lens Mount Adapter (Blk), M42 Lens (42mm thread Mount) Lens to Pentax (PK) selling on Amazon. There is only one review (very positive). I also see a General Brand at B&H for $15 (several reviews criticizing that it's cheaply made).
10-22-2011, 05:47 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Hawkin Quote
Great works!

My heart melted when I saw the 3-5...
Thanks!

QuoteOriginally posted by Antifreez Quote
Thanks a million, Jay, for the recommendation - and for the extra examples. I see a couple nice copies of this 200mm on Ebay for a decent price.
Make sure it's the S-M-C version you get (Super Multi Coated), if at all possible.

QuoteQuote:
One more question for you if you don't mind: is there a specific brand of the m42 adapter that you have? I see a Fotodiox Lens Mount Adapter (Blk), M42 Lens (42mm thread Mount) Lens to Pentax (PK) selling on Amazon. There is only one review (very positive). I also see a General Brand at B&H for $15 (several reviews criticizing that it's cheaply made).
It's really worthwhile to get the genuine Pentax adapter. Trust me. I bought a cheapie Bower adapter about 4 years ago, and it got stuck on the camera. Wasn't a fun procedure to get it off. Not every non-Pentax adapter is going to be like that, but you just have no guarantees...