Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
December Side Challenge - B&W
Posted By: travis_cooper, 12-10-2007, 10:31 PM

This is the first attempt to do a side challenge. For more information read this thread. Basically feel free to post pictures that have been converted to black and white. Preferably you should up load the picture to the gallery, then post a link to it here. Then others will leave comments on how to improve for next time, the reason I say it is better to post in the gallery is so the comments can go right on your picture rather than in this thread, that way it will be easier for you to find the comments directed to your picture. Then learn and post another picture. Also as you see others post pictures leave your comments for them. Hopefully with enough participation everybody will learn a lot from the images. The more you post the more you will learn, so don't be shy.
Views: 9,360
12-10-2007, 10:32 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
12-11-2007, 05:40 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Travis, presumably this is a fountain of some kind and, you have access to it, so you can reshoot.

Personally, I think the lights are blown-out or over-exp and the complete image (not including the water of course) is way too soft.

I trust this is what you mean and will now wait for others to comment and you to redo accordingly.
12-11-2007, 08:02 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yeah, thats perfect, although throughout the month it doesn't necessarily have to be the same shot every time. I do think I will redo this one though, but it might not be until a little later in the month, since I won't be around that fountain anytime soon. Also, if you can leave the comment on the picture itself, I uploaded it to the gallery so you should just be able to click on it, that is more helpful so I don't have to sift through forum comments to find the ones that pertain to my pictures, because hopefully there will be multiple pictures being commented on at the same time.

What do you think is making it look soft? Do you think it came about from the conversion, or it was just that way to begin with? I shot this in shutter priority mode, so the long exposure gave me a smaller aperture, I'm wondering if there is some diffraction going on here.

12-11-2007, 08:23 AM   #5
Inactive Account

If you like your image, it's already perfect.

If people like it, it's a bonus.

(I never really bought into that literary theory crap that the reader writes the novel.)

Though if you're looking for feedback, I'm not gonna preach to some so-called absolute standard. No platinum-iridium rod for these territories. No orange-red laser light in a vacuum here. I'll state what I think.

I don't like the toning. Did you just desaturate the colour? Straight desaturation is one of the most boring, IMHO, and hit and miss ways of BW conversion.
12-11-2007, 08:34 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
If you like your image, it's already perfect.

If people like it, it's a bonus.

(I never really bought into that literary theory crap that the reader writes the novel.)

Though if you're looking for feedback, I'm not gonna preach to some so-called absolute standard. No platinum-iridium rod for these territories. No orange-red laser light in a vacuum here. I'll state what I think.

I don't like the toning. Did you just desaturate the colour? Straight desaturation is one of the most boring, IMHO, and hit and miss ways of BW conversion.
Well, I don't necessarily like it. I actually took it to show how shutter speeds can affect the motion in a picture. I am trying to help out some friends and family who have recently bought slrs and don't know anything other than to use the auto pic mode, so I didn't spend much time on the shot, just knew it would show what I needed it to. So I would like to retake it and make it better. It probably won't be the same shot, just another shot of the fountain. With the B&W, I was trying out something new. I recently got LR and they have their grayscale option, so I selected that, then played with the contrast and some of the hue and saturation sliders. This also was a test to see how it might turn out. I guess I need to go back to my other methods for getting b&w photos.

Also, since the theme for this challenge is b&w it might be helpful for people to talk about how to convert to a b&w image. That way as people take their pictures maybe they can try some different methods and see which ones the like.

ETA: So maybe when you post your pictures, explain the process you took to get your conversion.

Last edited by travis_cooper; 12-11-2007 at 08:38 AM. Reason: Adding
12-11-2007, 01:34 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Travis,
I like your side-challenge idea. Thanks for getting this started. IMHO, learning from each other is one of the best opportunities that these forums provide. The following photo was posted in the critique section of this site but received very little feedback.

Uploaded to the gallery section; B&W conversion done using the Channel mixer in The Gimp.

Last edited by sajmmiller; 12-11-2007 at 06:04 PM. Reason: Add photo link to gallery
12-11-2007, 01:41 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I left a comment on your picture.
12-11-2007, 02:50 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Night Cityscape

Ok I'll play. I have not done much B&W . I have some great software (PS2 and PS3) but generally do quick conversions (grey scale mode). This one I played around with a little more , adding brightness to the river bank and ice. I would love to have some ideas from others on their B&W workflow. Exposure details in the gallery.

Last edited by daacon; 12-11-2007 at 09:32 PM.
12-11-2007, 02:57 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Left a comment.
12-11-2007, 03:52 PM   #11
Inactive Account

I am game as well. Can always use some good feedback.

User Photo Gallery - Miscellaneous
12-11-2007, 03:55 PM   #12
Inactive Account

I apparently do not know how to post the picture directly, so I could use some feedback on that as well.
12-11-2007, 04:18 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Left gallery comments for Dave and Travis
12-11-2007, 04:31 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by billhardie Quote
I apparently do not know how to post the picture directly, so I could use some feedback on that as well.
Bill,
1. Right click on your photo in the gallery and "copy link location".
2. In the "Reply to Thread" window, click on the "Insert Image" icon (yellow icon with mountain)
3. Paste the copied link from step one and click OK

You should end up with the image URL between IMG tags in the text of your message, but when you "Preview Post" the photo should display.

Hope that helps.
12-11-2007, 04:44 PM   #15
Inactive Account

Count me in! Here is my offering for critical assessment.

{url="https://www.pentaxforums.com/gallery/photo-4122.html"}{img}https://www.pentaxforums.com/gallery/images/1728/large/1_bw_st_johns_copy.jpg{/img}{/url}

Above is the script to link my image from the Gallery to here.

Just change each of the { or } brackets with [ and ] type brackets.

The first part is the address to the page in the gallery and the second part is address of the actual image.

Last edited by J.Scott; 12-11-2007 at 07:15 PM. Reason: linking picture