Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
The model makers art
Posted By: NaClH2O, 12-11-2007, 06:25 PM

The New York Botanical Gardens, "Holiday Train Show" is pretty famous around here. Lots of electric trains of course, but what impresses me the most is the incredible complexity and beauty of all the model buildings that grace the show. The trains are nice but the buildings make the show. There are all kinds, from bridges, to monuments to historical landmarks, to buildings long gone, to contemporary buildings. All are made primarily from plant material, from the corn husks of the Statue of Liberty's robes to the bark "blocks" that make up the towers of the Brooklyn Bridge. The following shots have mostly been taken this year, and many more can be found here:
saltwater : photos : NYBG annual Christmas Electric Train show- powered by SmugMug
The first 49 photos in that gallery were taken at various times during last years show, the final 30 shot were taken last Friday. I will be the first to say that I still have a LOT to learn about flash photography, hopefully I'll get back a time or two before the show closes in early January to practice some more.

Brooklyn Bridge, taken last year. DS FA50mm f4.0 @ 1/350 ISO 1600

Manhattan, Hells Gate and the Brooklyn Bridges K10D Zenitar 16mm 1/180 aperture unknown (BTW, I forgot to set the SR focal length on this but it doesn't seem to have bothered it too much)

One of the many trains. K10D Tamron 28-75, (all of the other shots with this lens) f5.6 @1/500

Grand Central Station f4.5 @1/320

The buildings are truly spectacular.

Some detail

When you first walk into the conservatory you see the Lady sitting in the main reflecting pool

Also in the pool is the Main Hall of Ellis Island

Finally another shot from my much loved Zenitar, as I was walking out I saw the lights of the entrance way.

NaCl(hope you enjoyed, any tips on flash photography greatly appreciated)H2O
Views: 1,668
12-11-2007, 06:39 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm completely ignorant when it comes to flash photography, but I enjoyed your pictures! I especially liked the next to last one.
12-12-2007, 09:24 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thanks Scott, appreciation is always appreciated

NaCl(just another attention junkie)H2O
12-12-2007, 05:01 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thanks for sharing Salty. I enjoyed your gallery of images. The exhibit looks amazing!

12-13-2007, 08:36 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LaRee Quote
Thanks for sharing Salty. I enjoyed your gallery of images. The exhibit looks amazing!
Thanks LaRee, glad you enjoyed them, and yes, the show is truly spectacular. Well worth the visit if you're nearby.

NaCl(but I don't think it's worth a flight from San Deigo )H2O
12-13-2007, 03:45 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm going to take a look at your Smugmugs. The buildings are spectacular but I like the trains! Maybe next time you could sneak a quarter or a half dollar or a ruler in a few of your shots to give us an idea of the scale.

Last edited by wtlwdwgn; 12-13-2007 at 03:51 PM.