Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Same Shot two settings.
Lens: 24-70 Photo Location: Maple Ridge ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 3s Aperture: F22 
Posted By: Jimbo, 10-23-2011, 06:01 PM

First shot was taken at 640 ISO, F7 at a 1/13 sec. The second I switched up to 200 ISO, F22 at 2.5 seconds. Cheers JIM

Views: 1,423
10-23-2011, 06:03 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very nice comparison Jim.--charliezap
10-23-2011, 06:11 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Jim, I think the faster shutter speed shot is much better.
10-23-2011, 06:23 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks Guys. Here is one in between the two. This one was shot at 1000 ISO, 6.3 at 1/20 sec. JIM

10-23-2011, 07:48 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
Jim, I think the faster shutter speed shot is much better.
I'm with Bob on this one. I hardly even know the guy but I think he's right this time.

TFS,

MK
10-23-2011, 08:58 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I'm just partial to the silky smooth water effect of the long exposure.. The shorter exposure times do throw the water's more volatile action into the shot, a small stream like this doesn't portray "aggressive raging river"... more like "serene quiet stream in the forest".
wonder how long you could get @ 80 ISO - f22 + and a CPL and/or an ND filter...
10-23-2011, 09:16 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
I'm just partial to the silky smooth water effect of the long exposure.. The shorter exposure times do throw the water's more volatile action into the shot, a small stream like this doesn't portray "aggressive raging river"... more like "serene quiet stream in the forest".
wonder how long you could get @ 80 ISO - f22 + and a CPL and/or an ND filter...
I would think 8-10 seconds which would have been cool too. JIM

QuoteQuote:
I'm with Bob on this one. I hardly even know the guy but I think he's right this time.

TFS,
Appreciate you taking the time to comment. JIM

10-23-2011, 09:18 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jimbo Quote
I would think 8-10 seconds which would have been cool too. JIM
I regularly shoot with my 43Ltd @ f22 with a CPL + an ND8 and pull off 8-15 seconds depending on natural lighting...my rainy-day 18-135 with CPL and ND-8 zoomed to 135 can stop down to f40 and I can get even longer!
10-24-2011, 06:15 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
I regularly shoot with my 43Ltd @ f22 with a CPL + an ND8 and pull off 8-15 seconds depending on natural lighting...my rainy-day 18-135 with CPL and ND-8 zoomed to 135 can stop down to f40 and I can get even longer!
10-24-2011, 04:49 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Well long exposure, I let it stay @ ISO 80 and let the time run as long as it needs!
10-24-2011, 06:22 PM   #11
Veteran Member

There is something about the swishes and swirls in the water of the first that appeals to me. I love seeing that movement. However, the second is amazing too with its silky softness. Which one do you prefer? I really should play with this technique more as I do live on a fast moving river. (When I have tried anything like this I often end up with blown highlights.) Thanks so much for sharing the photos and information.
10-24-2011, 07:27 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Well after doing a quick google image search for Algonguin national park waterfalls" I would say that you should grab a circular polarizer &/or an ND4 or ND8 and a tripod and go visit a few of those falls! Some really nice rock layouts in some around there! Myself.. I need to talk to some more loggers logging truck drivers to find some of the more less-known ones in my neck of the woods.. Here are a few in my G+ waterfall album
10-24-2011, 10:37 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Well after doing a quick google image search for Algonguin national park waterfalls" I would say that you should grab a circular polarizer &/or an ND4 or ND8 and a tripod and go visit a few of those falls! Some really nice rock layouts in some around there! Myself.. I need to talk to some more loggers logging truck drivers to find some of the more less-known ones in my neck of the woods.. Here are a few in my G+ waterfall album
QuoteQuote:
There is something about the swishes and swirls in the water of the first that appeals to me. I love seeing that movement. However, the second is amazing too with its silky softness. Which one do you prefer? I really should play with this technique more as I do live on a fast moving river. (When I have tried anything like this I often end up with blown highlights.) Thanks so much for sharing the photos and information.
Today 04:49 PM
I have shots 100's of images of water movement and falls and each can have its own set of Challenges Tess. For me its all about lighting and contrast from the water to the surrounding area on what the set up should be, along with the effect you are trying to get. I did look through your link and you have some intersting images. Always appreciate feedback and I do learn from other photographers . Tess, always push yourself and you will be surprised at the outcome. Cheers and now on to the next adventure. JIM
10-24-2011, 10:50 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Even with the Kit lens @ f22 on a cloudy day you could probably push 2-4 seconds or so, 4-8 seconds or so during blue hours no problem.. so if your willing to wait for the right light no filters are even needed.I hope you have fun trying them out.. sometimes even that little backyard stream can be composed to bring some satin-like magic through your lens.
Have fun and try and stay warm if you go out shooting before winter hits... fall is quickly becoming winter here, hope it's nicer out east!
I'm going to start shooting bracketed photo's next time I go out and see how well an HDR long exposure waterfall picture turns out.. just something I haven't tried yet.
10-25-2011, 08:22 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Great shots, buddy and a great primer on the technique. I like the second one the best, but . . . . heck . . . . . they're all cool.

Jer