Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
some more city shots witha new style.. UPDATED!!
Posted By: distorted_vision, 12-12-2007, 12:25 AM

hey guys. i have taken these shots today and i wondering what you thought.... its a different angle/style to what i usually do. i cant really describe the style i am talking about ,but it just feels right for some reason.. am i heading into the right/wrong direction with this? its almost like a deliberate out of focus style with grain. its purely experimental, as im only a learner at photography, so i would absolutely love it if you where to help me out if you think you can steer me in the right direction with my ideas.

examples from today..

Last edited by distorted_vision; 12-13-2007 at 12:47 AM.
Views: 2,440
12-12-2007, 01:25 AM   #2
Inactive Account

I like these... definitely worth exploring more of.

I like the exposure in the first, but I don't care for the overly centered light. But, the lighting is so gritty... dig it!

The shot of the train looks like a small model! All in all, I like the grainy b/w conversions.

I'd love to see where else you go as you develop this new style!
12-12-2007, 01:44 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hamidlmt Quote
I like these... definitely worth exploring more of.

I like the exposure in the first, but I don't care for the overly centered light. But, the lighting is so gritty... dig it!

The shot of the train looks like a small model! All in all, I like the grainy b/w conversions.

I'd love to see where else you go as you develop this new style!
hey mate, thanks for the feedback .. im so glad you mentioned the train looking like a model., i was hoping someone would pick up on that.... i was after that effect, so im stoked that you picked up on it!!!!

i will keep trying this style and see what i can come up with
12-12-2007, 01:53 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
and i totally agree with you for #1,.. thanks for that,i really should have picked up on that..ahwell, i guess thats why im a learner .. how does this look??

12-12-2007, 02:36 AM   #5
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by distorted_vision Quote
hey mate, thanks for the feedback .. im so glad you mentioned the train looking like a model., i was hoping someone would pick up on that.... i was after that effect, so im stoked that you picked up on it!!!!

i will keep trying this style and see what i can come up with
So, how do you get a big ol' train to look like something out of a box?! You're really working the shallow depth of field, light and shadows. All the b/w have a cool painting like quality.

and i totally agree with you for #1,.. thanks for that,i really should have picked up on that..ahwell, i guess thats why im a learner .. how does this look??

I like this crop better! It also removes some of the darkness in the bottom left corner, which there is a lot more of in the first version. It makes the light stand out even more.... my eyes are drawn upward to it. In the more centered version, the light is right in your face and I want to look away... avoid it.

I'm really not into cropping, always trying to get the composition nailed in camera. But every now and then, there's an improvement to be found that takes an well executed shot and makes it even better! You did it with this one!
12-12-2007, 02:41 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hamidlmt Quote
So, how do you get a big ol' train to look like something out of a box?! You're really working the shallow depth of field, light and shadows. All the b/w have a cool painting like quality.

I like this crop better! It also removes some of the darkness in the bottom left corner, which there is a lot more of in the first version. It makes the light stand out even more.... my eyes are drawn upward to it. In the more centered version, the light is right in your face and I want to look away... avoid it.

I'm really not into cropping, always trying to get the composition nailed in camera. But every now and then, there's an improvement to be found that takes an well executed shot and makes it even better! You did it with this one!
awesome thanks mate...

and as far as the train goes.. yeh, it took me a few go's to nail that shot. a soft focus,a bit of motion blur and an eery dim light setting,together with the fact of the train platform being strangely warped,hah!!the saturated sunlight on the carriage makes it look almost plastic like, due to the intended lack of detail on the train..it all contributed to it i think... i must admit tho, it was not as easy as i thought and im still trying it on other objects etc.. its working a little bit.. i will post up some pics soon.

Last edited by distorted_vision; 12-12-2007 at 02:47 AM.
12-12-2007, 09:34 AM   #7
Inactive Account

awesome thanks mate...

and as far as the train goes.. yeh, it took me a few go's to nail that shot. a soft focus,a bit of motion blur and an eery dim light setting,together with the fact of the train platform being strangely warped,hah!!the saturated sunlight on the carriage makes it look almost plastic like, due to the intended lack of detail on the train..it all contributed to it i think... i must admit tho, it was not as easy as i thought and im still trying it on other objects etc.. its working a little bit.. i will post up some pics soon.
I often think, when we've found something really cool, it should be hard at first. Yeah, sometimes some vision of ours comes naturally. Other times, we really have to push through to get the results we're after, especially if we've done it once with a snazzy result like this. Just don't get frustrated in the process!

12-12-2007, 12:37 PM   #8
Veteran Member

The first shot is a nice Holga-ish, cross processed effect. I'm not so stoked about the train, a bit too indistinct for me.

I really like the third pic, it has a classic 60's street photo feel... and the other two for me are also strong, vague abstracts, I like the high contrast in these b&w's, it suits/makes the style.
12-12-2007, 02:46 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

All nice shots. I like the color in #1 and prefer the modified version of #1 with the light moved a little to the left. #'s 3 and 4 are also awsome street shots. I really like the slight graininess in 4. Well done.
12-13-2007, 12:33 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
The first shot is a nice Holga-ish, cross processed effect. I'm not so stoked about the train, a bit too indistinct for me.

I really like the third pic, it has a classic 60's street photo feel... and the other two for me are also strong, vague abstracts, I like the high contrast in these b&w's, it suits/makes the style.
thanks alot mate
12-13-2007, 12:33 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by xs400 Quote
All nice shots. I like the color in #1 and prefer the modified version of #1 with the light moved a little to the left. #'s 3 and 4 are also awsome street shots. I really like the slight graininess in 4. Well done.
yer the graininess works well with some street shots i think...
thanks for the positive feedback mate
12-13-2007, 12:37 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
ok... heres a few more from thismorning that i took,....

a..

b..

c...
try and guess what this is??

d...

e...
heres another one that i tryed to apply the 'model' look too. this one is not as effective as the train shot, due to the fact their are people around, which suggests it is not a model,lol... also, the scale of the people compared to the car also plays on ure mind, and tells you that it is indeed a normal everyday car.. i think if the people where not around, it may have looked more effective, but regardless, i quite like the pic with all of the hussle and bussle going on at the same time..im learning that acheiving this technique comes to 'lack of detail'. you have to find a bridge between focus and out of focus and play around with lighting and D.O.F.. i will keep trying and see what i can come up with,.... i know im ranting on a little bit... but to be honest, i dont really know anything about this style (and infact, even if it is a style? ), so its hard to explain..hmmm, hope that makes sense..

12-13-2007, 06:37 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Run wth it , they look good. I like the second shot of #1, the first thing I also thought was the train was a model. The next two do add a retrospecctive feel of the 1960's expect to see everyone smoking The last one not sure about at all , just too blury for my tastes.

The second series I like #1 and #2, have no idea what #3 is aside from it appears bigger than a bread box ? Would need 20 questions for that one. Too much blur for me in the bike shot but that was what you were going for so you nailed it. The last car shot I agree the people put a scale to the cars isolated I think you have the 'model' effect.

Shoot on Mcduff !
12-13-2007, 05:17 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I dig the direction you're going, DV. I sort of see these images as a photographic analog to jazz - you're moving outside the chord changes. Let's see more.

Jer
12-14-2007, 12:52 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Run wth it , they look good. I like the second shot of #1, the first thing I also thought was the train was a model. The next two do add a retrospecctive feel of the 1960's expect to see everyone smoking The last one not sure about at all , just too blury for my tastes.

The second series I like #1 and #2, have no idea what #3 is aside from it appears bigger than a bread box ? Would need 20 questions for that one. Too much blur for me in the bike shot but that was what you were going for so you nailed it. The last car shot I agree the people put a scale to the cars isolated I think you have the 'model' effect.

Shoot on Mcduff !
thanks alot mate...yer, #3 is not a breadbox or anything like that.. i will give a HUGE clue.... it has something to do with light...
i totally agree with u on the bike shot,. it is extremely blurry, but as you mentioned... that was the intention..