Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Capitol Reef National Park- part 1
Camera: Kx Photo Location: Utah 
Posted By: jkwhawk, 10-26-2011, 10:29 AM

This series of shots is from our first day at Capitol Reef. Not much art here, but I've tried to include something in each frame as a visual reference because the scale of everything in this park is enormous. The first two shots were taken in the evening from our campground and they gave us just a hint of what was to come. The second two were taken as we hiked through the Grand Wash in the park. It was dry when we went through, but there were some wet spots lingering from the latest flooding. We had never heard of Capitol Reef National Park, so we allowed two days to explore the area. We finally left after five days, but only because we had to return home. I'm sure we'll go back because there is so much left to see. When the week was finished, I felt like a real desert rat. Thanks again, Bob Harris. If you hadn't made your desert posts I never would have gone. If anyone enjoys the tour, I can probably post another three or four series. Jim

Last edited by jkwhawk; 01-19-2012 at 09:13 PM.
Views: 624
10-26-2011, 10:54 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Nice. Love that area!
Looks like it wasn't too crowded either.
10-26-2011, 10:58 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice shots Jim of real rugged country.--charliezap
10-26-2011, 11:56 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Jim, glad you had an exciting and fulfilling adventure exploring the area. You really got the light perfect on that first shot, shows the beauty of sandstone and erosion. A person really has to visit these areas in person to realize the immensity of the canyon walls, it is hard to capture on camera. Looking forward to more photos when you have time to post, thanks Bob

10-26-2011, 07:44 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
Nice. Love that area!
Looks like it wasn't too crowded either.
This was in mid-October, well past the peak season. But I guess the peak season crowds are much smaller than other parks. Jim

QuoteOriginally posted by charliezap Quote
Nice shots Jim of real rugged country.--charliezap
Thanks! It is rugged to the point that I wondered how the old-timers managed to stay there. Jim

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
Jim, glad you had an exciting and fulfilling adventure exploring the area. You really got the light perfect on that first shot, shows the beauty of sandstone and erosion. A person really has to visit these areas in person to realize the immensity of the canyon walls, it is hard to capture on camera. Looking forward to more photos when you have time to post, thanks Bob
Thanks, Bob. The adventure was wonderful and we can't wait to go back to the area. I think there are a few more shots coming that may be keepers. Jim
10-27-2011, 10:40 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Jim, are you planning or did you go to Moab, Utah area on this trip?