Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
my first post. i think it sucks, but what the hell!!!
Lens: DA 18-55mm al Camera: k10d ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/3000s Aperture: F11 
Posted By: vimeto, 11-01-2011, 04:41 PM

from my front porch. what can i do to make it better?

Attached Images

Last edited by vimeto; 11-01-2011 at 05:09 PM.
Views: 1,233
11-01-2011, 05:36 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
hey I post some ordinary shots, but I figure it makes the good ones (other peoples) look really good. It is a photo sharing forum, sometimes its about the interest in the subject not the quallity of the shot.
What can you do to make it better ? apart from moving house(only joking), maybe you could get the sun shinning through the tree I think this would help.

cheers
CC.
11-01-2011, 09:30 PM   #3
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Thanks for sharing.
I may play around with cropping. I almost feel 16:9 or so would work.

T
11-01-2011, 09:48 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I would move the house and the cable lines. ...then play with colours...

Nice,though to improve I would work on standing somewhere with more open space for these kind of shots. Framing sometimes simply means being elsewhere .

11-01-2011, 09:48 PM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by vimeto Quote
from my front porch. what can i do to make it better?
Get off of the porch.

There are technical aspects of that frame that could have been done better (it's a couple stops under exposed) but mostly it's simply not a very interesting picture. Who cares, it's done - so go improve your next photo...

You can read books, take classes, attend workshops, ad nauseam, but to really improve your photography you have to "get off the porch" and go make photos. Lots of photos. Every day make more photos.
99 and forty-four one-hundredths of them will absolutely suck. For a while your real keepers will be accidental. Gradually you'll learn how to achieve good results on purpose.
  • Strive to make at least one deliberate photo per day. Momentum is a powerful force in creativity and learning activities.
  • Get prints made of photos the you like. Bits and bytes are transient, paper is permanent. Making prints puts tangible value to your photographs. Value builds confidence; confidence builds competence.
  • Set your camera to Manual exposure mode and manual focus for a full month. Don't whine, just do it. You'll be shocked by the difference between Day 1 and Day 30.
  • Join one of the Monthly Challenges here on PF. Get your work in front of other people and get their critiques and advice. Ansel Adams had Alfred Stieglitz; you've got Pentax Forums.
11-01-2011, 09:55 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Venturi Quote
Get off of the porch.

There are technical aspects of that frame that could have been done better (it's a couple stops under exposed) but mostly it's simply not a very interesting picture. Who cares, it's done - so go improve your next photo...

You can read books, take classes, attend workshops, ad nauseam, but to really improve your photography you have to "get off the porch" and go make photos. Lots of photos. Every day make more photos.
99 and forty-four one-hundredths of them will absolutely suck. For a while your real keepers will be accidental. Gradually you'll learn how to achieve good results on purpose.
  • Strive to make at least one deliberate photo per day. Momentum is a powerful force in creativity and learning activities.
  • Get prints made of photos the you like. Bits and bytes are transient, paper is permanent. Making prints puts tangible value to your photographs. Value builds confidence; confidence builds competence.
  • Set your camera to Manual exposure mode and manual focus for a full month. Don't whine, just do it. You'll be shocked by the difference between Day 1 and Day 30.
  • Join one of the Monthly Challenges here on PF. Get your work in front of other people and get their critiques and advice. Ansel Adams had Alfred Stieglitz; you've got Pentax Forums.

I am totally going to quote you everywhere i get a chance
11-01-2011, 10:16 PM   #7
Forum Member

Photographers Stages: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Sums it up really.
I know I suck.

11-02-2011, 06:36 AM   #8
Pentaxian

That looks like a tough subject to get a decent shot of.Keep on shooting.I hope to see more from you.---charliezap
11-02-2011, 02:38 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Turtle Quote
lol! wahahahaha! damn, i suck!!! lol! thanks for the feedback everybody. i'll get out of the porch, but i was just lazy that day. it was cold outside.
11-02-2011, 06:15 PM - 1 Like   #10

I'm glad you shared your photo here, it was interesting to see it and read the comments. I agree that it probably isn't a prize winning shot - but it is good step on the path to getting some of those prize winners. You aren't the only person here who is practising - I am too.
11-02-2011, 06:18 PM   #11
Forum Member

For me, one of the most valuable parts of using Pentax is the people on this forum.
11-02-2011, 07:05 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by canajuneh Quote
I'm glad you shared your photo here, it was interesting to see it and read the comments. I agree that it probably isn't a prize winning shot - but it is good step on the path to getting some of those prize winners. You aren't the only person here who is practising - I am too.
thanks i'm glad i did too. i take better pictures than that. i had one of those super zooms and i got really good pictures with it most of the time, but i only used it on auto. manual photo taking is a whole new game, but the quality difference is amazing.
11-02-2011, 09:17 PM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

If you have prime lenses, start using those. You'll stop depending on the zoom and you'll move around and get better shots. There's an old saying that if your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough. Whatever it is you want to shoot, stick your lens right up on it.

Of course this won't work with the sun and moon, but they've been shot so many times that it's best to just leave them alone at this point. Rarely are sunset and sunrise pictures very good.
11-03-2011, 07:34 AM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vimeto Quote
i'll get out of the porch, but i was just lazy that day. it was cold outside.
Want to know a secret? Some of the best pictures are made in the worst weather. This shot is probably my signature image. There really wasn't anything technically difficult about it. The hardest part was getting myself out to the railroad museum early on a cold, snowy day. After that, I positioned myself at the end of the turntable and let the steam locomotive do the hard work.

So get up early, go out in a blizzard, brave the cold, etc. It'll suck, but the photos will be worth it!
11-03-2011, 03:13 PM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GhoSStrider Quote
Want to know a secret? Some of the best pictures are made in the worst weather. This shot is probably my signature image. There really wasn't anything technically difficult about it. The hardest part was getting myself out to the railroad museum early on a cold, snowy day. After that, I positioned myself at the end of the turntable and let the steam locomotive do the hard work.

So get up early, go out in a blizzard, brave the cold, etc. It'll suck, but the photos will be worth it!
that's an amazing picture. i will do that. i was just being lazy that particular day. i'm usually pretty energetic and love being outside, so its not a problem.