Posing by the window
Posted By: milesy, 11-06-2011, 01:48 AM

just playing around with the youngn this afternoon....feedback always welcome

thanks guys

Views: 1,446
11-06-2011, 04:11 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Basically it looks fine except...

... it looks as if you did some tone mapping on it that I find very distracting on a portrait?
11-06-2011, 04:24 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
mmmm not sure what you mean by tone mapping - can you explain?
11-07-2011, 01:28 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
did some reading on tone mapping - sorry but none of that done here........any other feedback on this one?

11-07-2011, 02:11 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lovely window light portrait Milesy
11-07-2011, 03:01 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
thanks wizofoz - i see your located in my area too..........where abouts in the outer east are you located
11-07-2011, 03:16 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mooroolbark mate. Where are you?

11-07-2011, 03:40 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
chirnside park.....
11-07-2011, 03:58 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Lovely light and angle. May I ask what equipment you used?
11-07-2011, 04:29 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by milesy Quote
...any other feedback on this one?
Hi

Does not look like tone mapping to me. It's well taken, sharp, crisp with natural light giving good definition but on my calibrated screen the skin tone is just a wee bit on the yellow side. Your screen appears to be pretty well capable to reproduce correct colour and with this in mind I feel confident you will see the subtle change I made to your pic. On the other hand the incident light may have had a yellow cast but even if this was the case it is a good thing to correct skin colour in a portrait of such a young child to a natural look particularly since there is no scenery around to interfere with the presentation. Also note that the coulor of the lips are a bit more realistic now. I understand this was an impromptu capture and therefore the reflection under the child's chin was unavoidable, (in a setup session one would make sure this will not happen) however it is not great to see there. Photoshop can do wonders and I took the liberty to remove it.

I also think the crop might be a bit too tight. I am not so hot on the locks having had an encounter with the guillotine.
I haven't got the original to experiment with but my hunch would be that this sort of portrait would be better suited displayed in, well, portrait format.

I hope I was constructive with my comments. See if you can "clean up" this image a little bit, it is a nice shot and worthy of a bit more work.

Greetings

Last edited by Schraubstock; 03-07-2012 at 09:38 PM.
11-07-2011, 04:38 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Chirnside Park, Wow, thats close? Is that your light I can see up on the hill?
11-07-2011, 04:45 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Shraubstock. It may be my monitor, which is calibrated but not of very high quality, but I prefer the original skin tones. The original has the golden afternoon 'glow' of good Aussie sunlight to my eye. Your touch up looks far more like pale European light to me.

I realise these things are all subjective. This is merely my reaction to the comparison of the two version.
11-07-2011, 04:59 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wizofoz Quote
Shraubstock. It may be my monitor, which is calibrated but not of very high quality, but I prefer the original skin tones. The original has the golden afternoon 'glow' of good Aussie sunlight to my eye. Your touch up looks far more like pale European light to me.

I realise these things are all subjective. This is merely my reaction to the comparison of the two version.
Hi
Actually I am quite disappointed when I see the uploaded image, it is much much paler than the one on my computer, I don't like it either. I made only very subtle changes but the "uploader" buggered it up.

Greetings
11-07-2011, 04:10 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
thanks for you comments guys

schraubstock - i appreciate the time you have taken here - but i tend to agree with wizofoz that i do prefer the original skin tones.......and the 'relfection' under her chin is actually her hair!!

as for the tight crop - it was a bit inavoidable with the lens i had on and the space we were in

DanielT74 - i was using a K-7 and a 50mm F1.7 manual focus lens at F5 (1/25 sec)

Wizofoz - we are just up around the golf course here - so yep probably is my light lol
11-07-2011, 07:24 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

but i tend to agree with wizofoz that i do prefer the original skin tones.
Hi

The reason for my posting was not to convince you to change anything, (I don't think you saw it this way anyway) but merely to illustrate a different approach. When I do colour corrections on an image I create sometimes 10 or more different versions to allow me to compare. I find if I do only one the senses start to adapt to what you have on screen and in the end one can get off without realising. Also to walk away for a while and come back for another look at the correction will help. For this reason I have two monitors to give me plenty of screen space to line them all up. I have learned this in my activity in fine art printing.

I find a lot of pictures posted here are overly yellow and I have to acknowledge that a great number of people like this yellow cast treatment. In the old film days every photographer was chasing those warm sundown colours (and we still do today) and there weren't that many pictures because you needed to be in the right place at the right time. But now with digital photography any old image can be converted into sundown colours. Just look at any of the posted pictures here and you will count endless sundown coloured pictures. Have we got now suddenly more "sundown" lighting in this world? Or is software now too tempting to doctor images? And is this why so many are overdone?

I can tell pretty well when a photograph was taken under true warm long shadow sundown conditions and can tell when either the white balance was wrong or a yellow cast was thrown over the image in PP. Believe me the two do look different. Colour is a hugely complex business.

As mentioned before my posted tweak of your pic left me disappointed, I do not know why the upload turned out this way. But since my corrections were pretty subtle I guess it is no wonder.

..and the 'relfection' under her chin is actually her hair!!
I could have sworn it was a reflection off a shiny surface, but there you are only you can know. But in any case the removal will improve the pic, I think, don't you?

as for the tight crop - it was a bit inavoidable with the lens i had on and the space we were in
That is understandable and I now know why. But perhaps you could have taken another shot in portrait mode quickly. I know this is easy to say after the event. Don't want to come across as a smartass but I think you will know when you see a good opportunity and you don't want to miss it and therefore do more than one shot to cover all bases. Perhaps you have done this anyway and the others just did not turn out as good. Also children never stand still for long, do they.

hope I have not made an enemy here with my rantings,

Best regards and greetings