Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Cutest Model EVER! OMG! Seriously!
Posted By: codiac2600, 12-14-2007, 11:08 PM

Isn't he just the cutest thing you've ever seen! I shot for a family friend and it was my first time with him and he has no experience?!?!? Can you believe it!

And his older brother was a joy to shoot as well!

Penny for your thoughts mister?

Thanks for looking and C&C is welcome and appreciated since I've never shot pictures of anyone under the age of 18 yet LOL. I'm totally out of my zone here
Views: 2,728
12-14-2007, 11:39 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I don't know if you should post those pictures on a public forum Chris, now all the girls are going to go crazy
12-14-2007, 11:52 PM   #3
Veteran Member

They're all adorable. Something about the second shot reminded me of Calvin (from Calvin & Hobbes). The fourth one brought back memories of Bowzer on Sha-Na-Na.

That last one is destined to be an heirloom in the kid's house.
12-15-2007, 01:00 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Amazing shots, seriously. The smile are worth a million dollars

12-15-2007, 05:55 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Chris, you certainly are NOT outside your zone. You've done a terrific job here, the pictures are bright and cheerful. With the exception of the horse's head being cut-off. Although that too can be salvaged.

You did something right, discover it and run with it. Kids are NOT easy to do especially in a formal setting.

With great big smiles like these, I can image what wonderful people the parents are.

Well done Chris.
12-15-2007, 06:30 AM   #6
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I totally agree with JC. I don't always comment on your portrait work as I'm not really qualified to critique your shots. But You have definitely found a category of photography you excel at. The last series you posted was excellent as is this one.

Kids shooting is harder than anything (even pets IMO) and these are simply as good as any long time pro could produce. Love the light, backdrop, use of selective focus, colour and the list goes on.

I think some day, I'll be saying "see that cover on Vogue, I knew him when he worked at a photo store..."
12-15-2007, 07:52 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
I don't know if you should post those pictures on a public forum Chris, now all the girls are going to go crazy
LOL, thats how I get them to come over and take pics

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
They're all adorable. Something about the second shot reminded me of Calvin (from Calvin & Hobbes). The fourth one brought back memories of Bowzer on Sha-Na-Na.

That last one is destined to be an heirloom in the kid's house.
Thanks Mike and it is very calvinesque isn't it.

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
Amazing shots, seriously. The smile are worth a million dollars
Lol, thanks buddy.

QuoteOriginally posted by JCSullivan Quote
Chris, you certainly are NOT outside your zone. You've done a terrific job here, the pictures are bright and cheerful. With the exception of the horse's head being cut-off. Although that too can be salvaged.

You did something right, discover it and run with it. Kids are NOT easy to do especially in a formal setting.

With great big smiles like these, I can image what wonderful people the parents are.

Well done Chris.
Hmm, well I felt outside my zone LOL. I was like, "what do I say?, what theme should I have her... no he dangit!, Ok, next outfi... ergh, nope"

Thanks for the kind words and I'll have to try this more often even though it's a pain dragging the studio stuff to peoples homes.

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
I totally agree with JC. I don't always comment on your portrait work as I'm not really qualified to critique your shots. But You have definitely found a category of photography you excel at. The last series you posted was excellent as is this one.

Kids shooting is harder than anything (even pets IMO) and these are simply as good as any long time pro could produce. Love the light, backdrop, use of selective focus, colour and the list goes on.

I think some day, I'll be saying "see that cover on Vogue, I knew him when he worked at a photo store..."
Oh Peter, you're more than qualified to comment on anyones work, I think anyone here could shoot what I shoot if they had the exact same equipment or relative equipment. I just get bored and shoot it more and more often.

These kids weren't so bad actually, but the older boy was starving and all he could do is say, "CHIP" cause we had a bag of chips in the room and of course after every smile he got one to munch on. Bribery is always a great way to to get kids to do what you want right? It works with my other models LMAO, J/K!

Ha, Vogue, yes, Ben would loooooove that not too mention there are thousands of better photogs out there and I get to see their work every day either on here, at work, or on the modeling forums I frequent. Now if I had a K20D, I'd rule the world! LMAO or not, but it's the thought of world domination that counts IMO.

12-16-2007, 10:18 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wonderful captures Chris - these are top of the top notch children photos!

You're making me wonder about deciding if I want my own studio or rent with a group... hmmm....
12-16-2007, 10:30 AM   #9
Inactive Account

You're tapping into a great market here... there's a wide appeal to children's shots like this. Both kids look totally relaxed, playful and happily engaged with you.

I do prefer the lighting with the older child... a hint more shadow portrays more impact, in my eyes. But, the first images are lovely and soft too, like the little one is still too innocent to cast a dark shadow.

So often, portraits can seem overly posed and forced... trying to portray an emotion or mood, instead of actually conveying that look. With children, there is honesty. With honesty, there is a good photo.

Dig it!
12-16-2007, 07:20 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilm_user Quote
Wonderful captures Chris - these are top of the top notch children photos!

You're making me wonder about deciding if I want my own studio or rent with a group... hmmm....
Thanks Marc and you should move here and I'll be your group LOL

QuoteOriginally posted by hamidlmt Quote
You're tapping into a great market here... there's a wide appeal to children's shots like this. Both kids look totally relaxed, playful and happily engaged with you.

I do prefer the lighting with the older child... a hint more shadow portrays more impact, in my eyes. But, the first images are lovely and soft too, like the little one is still too innocent to cast a dark shadow.

So often, portraits can seem overly posed and forced... trying to portray an emotion or mood, instead of actually conveying that look. With children, there is honesty. With honesty, there is a good photo.

Dig it!
Thank you Hamid and the reason the shadow deatil was a little off was the younger had been placed a bit forward of the lighting sweet spot.
12-18-2007, 11:58 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Great photos Chris. The first two are a little over soft for my taste, but all the poses you have captured are excellent. The poses of the kids appear very natural. This kind of photography is something you obviously excel at. As others have said it's got a name for being the most difficult.

Paul
12-18-2007, 01:09 PM   #12
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well done, mate.
The softness of the baby shots actually appeals to me - still enough sharpness to be very acceptable (a more amateur/lay person's opinion...)

More than half the battle was to get the kids' attention and natural expressions, so you can clearly take kids' shots!