Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
One bear, three poses
Lens: Sigma 50-500 Camera: K20 Photo Location: Saskatchewan ISO: 400 Aperture: F8 
Posted By: canajuneh, 11-10-2011, 07:21 PM

I was driving along last yearl and spotted this bear in the ditch. S/he seemed to be a bit confused and was acting more like a domestic lawnmower than a big, scary bear! Nevertheless I didn't step away from the open car door.

I was pretty excited and forgot to check the settings on my camera. It was set on aperture priority so the shutter speeds were slower than ideal for hand held shots.

I keep promising myself that I will remember to check before shooting next time - but I'm still working on that.

Attached Images

Views: 1,124
11-10-2011, 07:39 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Doesn't look very scare too me- more like cute!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-10-2011, 08:59 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Great series, they usually don't hang around to get their picture taken. Thanks for sharing!
11-11-2011, 09:10 AM   #4
Veteran Member

That really is, "wildlife" well shot that man.

11-11-2011, 10:41 AM   #5
Pentaxian

NIce shots... it must have been spring time right out of the winter den. They eat grass that time of year. We've seen them down the power line that runs in front of our property in the spring eating grass, but they don't let us get close enough for pictures, and I'm usually making sure my dogs go home and not after the bear anyway.
11-11-2011, 11:41 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Like numbers 2 & 3.
Bears are not scary and mean. Respect them, give them space so that they don't feel threatened, don't get close to their food or cubs and you will be fine.
Oh by the way, don't run from them. It triggers a chase instinct

Dennis
11-11-2011, 01:33 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Or as the locals say around here, even if he charges, if you can see him you're safe, the bear that's out to get you, you'll never see him coming. The bear mock charge comes right at you from the front, and he'll stop about 10 feet away, then wander off.

11-11-2011, 08:01 PM   #8

Original Poster
Thank you for your kindly responses.

In reply to some of them I'd like to say -
I am female
the images were taken at the end of August at the Narrow Hills Provincial Park in Saskatchewan, Canada
I try not to be foolish around wild animals - purely because they are wild and unpredictable
I didn't know bears sometimes make mock charges and found that snippet interesting.
11-11-2011, 08:50 PM   #9

Cool never saw a bear eating grass before
11-11-2011, 08:55 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by canajuneh Quote
Thank you for your kindly responses.

In reply to some of them I'd like to say -
I am female
the images were taken at the end of August at the Narrow Hills Provincial Park in Saskatchewan, Canada
I try not to be foolish around wild animals - purely because they are wild and unpredictable
I didn't know bears sometimes make mock charges and found that snippet interesting.
I think that is a wise policy.

At the end of August this year in SK. there was a huge number of bears showing up in places they normally do not and should not go, for their own safety. Probably the most important food source for fattening up for hibernation, blueberries was a failure. The bears were hungry, desperate to put on the calories they need to survive the winter. The problem was even more acute because many mothers had two cubs rather then one because the berry crop last year was phenomenal.

I belief this book is still considered the bible on bear attacks.

http://www.amazon.com/Bear-Attacks-Their-Causes-Avoidance/dp/0941130827