Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Coastal Bottomland Forest and Habitat [6 IMG]
Lens: DA 15, 35 and 70 Limiteds Camera: K-5 Photo Location: Lake Jackson, TX ISO: 80 
Posted By: Sailor, 11-12-2011, 06:37 AM

A few weeks ago, one of the last of the unspoiled areas of what is called the Columbia Bottom Lands was opened as part of the National Wildlife Refuge system just north of Lake Jackson. The place is probably less than five minutes from my house, so yesterday I took a stroll through it with my camera (random shots below) - the only moving wildlife I encountered were "skeeters".

Jer

Views: 973
11-12-2011, 06:42 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Oh these trees are wonderful!!! You actually caught their movement and flow... the lines and compositions are perfect. Only five minutes from your house! Such a close and fertile ground for your photography!! Thanks so much for sharing.
11-12-2011, 08:03 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Those are some gnarly tree shots, amazing how they twist and turn to gain sunlight. On our visits to Texas I never noticed an area with Spanish moss that I can remember, except in the s/e area in the swamps. Cool shots and an area that looks like it would be steaming with wildlife.
11-12-2011, 08:29 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
So the draught split then Jer? Funny where life will take hold. Shot this one last weekend of a new cedar taking root on a out spuce that was cut down. JIM

11-13-2011, 05:55 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tessfully Quote
Oh these trees are wonderful!!! You actually caught their movement and flow... the lines and compositions are perfect. Only five minutes from your house! Such a close and fertile ground for your photography!! Thanks so much for sharing.
Thanks so much, tess. This was the first time in weeks (maybe months) I've gone out to photography simply and solely for the purpose of doing so; any interesting place close by, will make that easy to do as I watch how the "look" of the place changes with the seasons.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
Those are some gnarly tree shots, amazing how they twist and turn to gain sunlight. On our visits to Texas I never noticed an area with Spanish moss that I can remember, except in the s/e area in the swamps. Cool shots and an area that looks like it would be steaming with wildlife.
Thanks, Bob. The moss is pretty common around here - hanging from the old live oaks. We have an old granddaddy in our back yard - the reason for having our house built on the lot - never again; that sucker is always shedding something.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by Jimbo Quote
So the draught split then Jer? Funny where life will take hold. Shot this one last weekend of a new cedar taking root on a out spuce that was cut down. JIM
Hey, buddy - no the drought is still in full swing - although the bottom lands seem less affected. Indeed, life is tenacious.

Jer