Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Old Oak Tree
Lens: Sigma 28-80 Camera: K 2000 Photo Location: Thousand Oaks 
Posted By: usn ret, 11-15-2011, 01:30 AM

While visiting & babysitting my grand daughter and walks in the park , this old oak tree kept screaming, TAKE MY PICTURE. Here it is. CLiff

Attached Images

Views: 1,294
11-15-2011, 10:39 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very nice photo Cliff, I like the silhouette effect, great backdrop of one of the 1000 oaks there. Bob
11-15-2011, 05:51 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
There may be a 1000 oaks in Thousand Oaks, but this is the one that got my attention. Thanks for looking, Bob.

Are you going to stop at the Boyce Thompson Arboretum near Globe? I was there with my brother last week, also went to the Desert Botanical Garden in Mesa? Both are worth a stop and look. At the Desert Botanical they were having a "tag and release" of the Monarch butterfly while we were there. Colorful!! Cliff
02-16-2013, 03:47 PM   #4

Hi, there. I'd like to get in touch with the person who took this photo. It's gorgeous, and I'd like to request permission to use it on my website--and if that's all right, to know to whom to credit it. Thanks so much.

02-16-2013, 03:51 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It looks like the old style tapestry patterns. Well taken.
02-16-2013, 06:41 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by KSweeney Quote
Hi, there. I'd like to get in touch with the person who took this photo. It's gorgeous, and I'd like to request permission to use it on my website--and if that's all right, to know to whom to credit it. Thanks so much.
Permission granted Cliff Cook aka USN RET

What is your website?
02-16-2013, 06:46 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
It looks like the old style tapestry patterns. Well taken.
TFL EM it has been posted for a while but all likse are always good. Currently recovering for open heart surgery to repair the mitral valve. I am recovering OK... Cliff
02-16-2013, 06:49 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by KSweeney Quote
Time for an intro KSweeny. Tell us a little about yourself.Cliff

02-16-2013, 07:17 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by usn ret Quote
TFL EM it has been posted for a while but all likse are always good. Currently recovering for open heart surgery to repair the mitral valve. I am recovering OK... Cliff
Hey Cliff, any pictures? Glad you are recovering OK as you say. Take care and have lots of people wait on you at the house.
02-16-2013, 07:21 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by usn ret Quote
Well they do say you're all heart Cliff so this kind of proves it......................................Good to hear you're on the mend.
02-16-2013, 09:22 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
Hey Cliff, any pictures? Glad you are recovering OK as you say. Take care and have lots of people wait on you at the house.
Bob, EM, they would not let me bring a camera into the OR, something about being too out of it to even care, well they were right. When waking in the CCU area they ask about pain, scale of 1-10, I responded by answering about a 6, shot of morphine, they ask again a bit later, still a 6, and again still about a 6, then it began to work, with enough of FEELGOOD in my system, I reverted to speaking in native Texican and we had a ball with that for a while then it was naptime. By now the pain had subsided enough to where it was manageable with vicadin with an occasional morphine bump. Will see the surgeon on Tues and am hoping to cleared to return to the High Desert. Am doing much better but my chest still feels like someone dropped a 90# anvil on it. Everyday is better than the last, I have tried to push it a little, then my body just screams "HEY STUPID" then I understand. OK not so fast. Cliff
02-17-2013, 01:26 PM   #12

An introduction

Hi, Cliff.
Thanks a million. My name is Kate. I'm an Atlanta writer and public radio producer. The website, which is still under construction, will be a writing blog and a site promoting my book that University of Georgia Press is publishing in Spring 2014, called American Afterlife. The book is popular nonfiction. It's about people who find themselves involved with mourning and memorialization--both folks procuring different kinds of memorialization and people making memorial choices. There's a third-generation funeral director, a group of obit writers holding a conference in the desert, a contemporary memorial photographer, a woman who carefully tends the roadside memorial she keeps for her daughter who died in a car accident and other stories, too. The book ends up being about the commonalities among their choices, and what they have in common with our American forebears, our 19th-century ancestors who more-or-less invented the way we "do" death in this country.

Phew! Long-winded, I know, but I wanted to give you some idea of what I'm all about. I'll happily credit your photo. It's really beautiful and exactly the kind of thing I was looking for, for the banner for the site. The url will be katesweeney dot net. Right now, my former site's there. It's less than beautiful.

Again, thank you, and let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. I'm pleased to make your (virtual) acquaintance.

All the best,
Kate
02-17-2013, 01:42 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There are few things more majestic and define strength as the oak. Great job.
02-17-2013, 06:35 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Get well SOON, Cliff! Glad you're doing well!
02-18-2013, 10:07 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by OrchidJulie Quote
Get well SOON, Cliff! Glad you're doing well!
Dice and Julie, thanks for looking, Yes, the oak tree says strength and durability to me as I think of our oldest Navy ship "Old Ironsides" oak does hold up pretty good. Cliff

Last edited by usn ret; 02-18-2013 at 10:08 AM. Reason: grammar