Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
My first real shot with the K-5
Lens: DA* 16-50 Camera: K-5 Photo Location: Delaware ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/750s Aperture: F5.6 
Posted By: Don From The Radio, 11-18-2011, 11:32 PM

Aside from a few test shots, I really haven't had a chance to try out my K-5 and * lenses, so I went out to a local field and shot some broken down machinery. The smaller size on Flickr doesn't really do justice to how sharp the lens and K-5 can be. I'm impressed, even if the composition isn't the best in the world.

Views: 802
11-18-2011, 11:52 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Here are a couple more from the same series.

Not much PP done to them other than default RAW processing.
11-19-2011, 12:09 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Nice. Perhaps a little too saturated in colour for my taste. This kind of thing works nice with a decent B&W conversion though. Silver Efex is a good plugin for that
11-19-2011, 01:04 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I didn't touch the coloring on the first and third ones, and the middle one I only bumped the saturation up 5 points. Aside from some contrast adjustments and sharpness increase when converting from RAW, those are right out of the camera.

11-19-2011, 05:22 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi Radio Man

Its me your colour man. I too find the colours a wee bit too much on the saturated site but I only speak for myself here. It is not over the top but what I am not too hot about is the inky blue sky. But perhaps it is only a monitor thing.

The K-5 in its default setting is a bit over the top but this is easily remedied. On the four way controller toggle press the rightmost button, the one with the hexagon on it, twice. This will get you into custom settings. You have a whole row of presets to choose from. Pick any of them and press the down button (with the flash sign). Now you can make fine adjustments to you liking. Fine tune one or all to suit a particular shooting condition for easy recall when conditions change.

Greetings
11-19-2011, 10:13 AM   #6
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

I like them! Maybe a little too rich in color, but you will adjust to what you want, which is all that really matters. I too suggest that you try these in B/W...they would look great I do believe.....and congratulations on the K5 it is a fantastic camera. Much fun is ahead for you!
Regards!
Rupert