Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Stumped
Lens: SMC 135-600 Camera: K20D Photo Location: East Tennessee 
Posted By: mole, 11-19-2011, 09:05 PM

Was out on a trail in the home park a few day ago, and noticed LOTS of chipmunks busy with the abundant Hickory nut crop. One seemed especially aggressive at defending a small hollow stump. Did not see him hiding food in the stump, but am assuming this was the reason for his behavior. Came back later with camera and long lens (Pentax K20D and SMC 135-600mm), and he was still there...

I walked closer very slowly, pausing often to get another snapshot, and always expecting him to flee...

Finally got within the minimum focus range of the lens, and he still held his ground!

When he moved to the other side of the stump, I had to back off from 600mm to 500 just to fit all of him in the frame!

Chipmunk finally did leave the stump, but not because of me. Another Chipmunk got too close to his "throne," and the chase began...

Will check back at the stump again as time permits, and hope to enjoy more views of my little "friend."

Hope you enjoyed seeing him too, and that you will share your comments & critique!
Views: 878
11-19-2011, 09:12 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Cute shots of the little guy, must be stocking up for the winter.
11-20-2011, 10:47 AM   #3

It must be nice to have the 'wild things' posing for you. They are nice shots too.
11-20-2011, 06:44 PM   #4
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What a cute little guy! Otis calls them "Little Squirrels" He used to call them Midget Squirrels until he learned it wasn't PC....

Thanks from Otis for posting....me too!
Regards!

11-21-2011, 03:43 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi

This is the sort of photography I enjoy. I am a bit "sunsetted out". Sorry guys no offense I actually still like them and when the opportunity arises I am right in it like everybody else.

Your shots are magnificent and I know they require a lot of patience (and luck). Being a park ranger I guess you have a bit of a head start. I particularly like the third take.

Greetings
11-22-2011, 07:08 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Bob - They sure are cute little rodents! And yes, they're all quite busy here storing away seeds & nuts...

Canajuneh - Yes, I'm blessed to live (and work) surrounded by many fascinating creatures. Glad you liked these!

Rupert - Glad that you (and your furry friend) enjoyed these shots of his "little cousin!"

Schraubstock - Thanks for your kind words. Probably more luck than patience, but it does help to be able to spend most of every day outdoors...