Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
1 Like  
PENTAX Power v2 (Some HD bird photos)
Posted By: ogunturkay, 11-20-2011, 09:05 AM

PENTAX K-5 + Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM

Parus major - Great tit

Sitta europaea - Nuthatch

Thanks to all visitors at present. Regards...

--
Ogun Caglayan Turkay
Ogun Caglayan Turkay's Photo Portfolio
Views: 4,294
11-22-2011, 12:56 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Schraubstock, I don't want to steal Ogun's thread, but I just wanted to make a quick comment to your last post. I do like to be forced to think about these things (more so since I don't have any formal training in any of this), and I find it interesting that you think there is a "fashion" promoting warmer white balance in digital photography. I have noticed the thing about colour saturation myself - I've sold a handful of bird shots to magazines, and I usually "overdo" them a bit in both saturation and sharpness relative to my personal preference, because I find that gets me the most positive response.

I never noticed the same about white balance, but I think you might be right. I am a product of my time though, I suppose, so aesthetically I do find the warmer cast more appealing. I also look at the histograms though, and I would never burn out the yellow curve to "warm up" the white balance. Also, if there is pure white in the pic, I try to get it to look white. I am not sure the nuthatch SHOULD have a pure-white cheek (it really looks rather TOO blueish in your version, I think? Isn't the cheek more of a cream colour?), but anyway the great tit ought to, I guess.

And then there is the bird watcher part of me, which appreciates your "documentation value" argument. Although, liking birds subjectively too, I can view these photos as much as "personal style" portraits as "species records".

There is definitely a personal element to colour perception, so there must be(?) some room for picking a "right" white balance, rather than ONE hard true value - but anyway, it is something I will be more aware of. If it's a general trend, as you say, it is worth thinking about how much of this preference is personal choice, and how much is just influenced by a moving average.

11-27-2011, 07:34 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Hi Ogun, as before, you have produced another set of brilliant images. I salute you. (Still don't know how you get such great detail out of the 50-500, but keep doing what you're doing...)
11-27-2011, 08:24 AM   #18
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Ogun....I'll tell you what I see.....and I have some pretty good eyes and a decent feel for what people like...or don't.

Those are excellent shots, clear sharp, and the color tone is near perfect. If you are ever in Alaska and find a big 40 pound nugget of pure gold, do not be surprised if someone standing nearby tells you to throw it back....just too damn yellow.

Best Regards!
11-27-2011, 09:39 AM   #19
Closed Account

Wonderful images and exceptional detail. Very nicely done!

11-27-2011, 06:52 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
If you are ever in Alaska and find a big 40 pound nugget of pure gold, do not be surprised if someone standing nearby tells you to throw it back....just too damn yellow.
Hi

It is probably fool's gold that has influenced your liking for yellow imagery ...so sorry Rupert. I'll try to behave from now on.

Greetings