Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Blue Jay at the planter box
Lens: DA* 60-250 @ 250mm Camera: K20D Photo Location: Whiteny, Ontario, Canada ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/2000s Aperture: F4 
Posted By: normhead, 11-20-2011, 12:14 PM

These guys came and started asking where the food was. The feeders weren't out all summer, but these guys remembered where we were come fall.

Views: 1,095
11-20-2011, 12:33 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice pic! The only thing that's a bit weird is the rough edge in the middle of the upper third of the photo.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-20-2011, 12:54 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Hmmmm, I'm not sure I'm seeing what you are...the only thing done that would show up would be a line where I blurred the noisey blue light in the background... maybe you can see the edge of the blur line or your monitor, I can't see it on mine. Thanks for the comment.
11-20-2011, 01:54 PM   #4
Veteran Member

excellent sharp shot Norm. The 60-250/4 looks quite sharp even wide open... great job!

11-20-2011, 02:16 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Norm, are these blue jays or shrub jays, the only reason I ask is I once posted what I thought was a blue jay, but was corrected that it was a shrub jay. guess it doesn't make much difference, it is a jay, right. take care Bob
11-20-2011, 03:09 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Beautiful capture. And great colours. We don't have those little fellas down-under.
11-20-2011, 04:04 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Norm, are these blue jays or shrub jays
We have Blue Jays here Bob, that little tuft on the back of his head is the difference I believe.

QuoteQuote:
The 60-250/4 looks quite sharp even wide open... great job!
This lens never let's you down. I have no further desire for anything longer, and it's sharp over it's whole range. I'm as happy pictures taken at 60 mmm as I am with the ones at 250mm.

QuoteQuote:
Beautiful capture. And great colours. We don't have those little fellas down-under.
Thanks... Maybe I should send you a few? They can take up where the rabbits left off. Tough aggressive birds they are. They run the chip monks off the feeder, and aren't too nice to smaller birds either. (I know you are saying "No, it can't be true." but it is.)

11-20-2011, 04:14 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
....I have no further desire for anything longer....
You're lucky guys over there...local birds won't grant you a shot with anything shorter than 400mm
11-20-2011, 04:23 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
You're lucky guys over there...local birds won't grant you a shot with anything shorter than 400mm
These guys eat seed we put out for them on our porch, so they are used to us milling around inside. But, I recently picked up an SMC 1.7 adapter that should take this lens to about 425 @ 6.7. I need a bit of sunshine so I can try it out, but the initial test shots look pretty good.
11-20-2011, 04:27 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Great capture Norm,

I've tried many times but always came up with nothing when trying to capture Blue Jays.

Tom G
11-20-2011, 04:31 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
I've tried many times but always came up with nothing when trying to capture Blue Jays.
It's all about those sunflower seeds you see in front of him on the planter box, which is 4 feet from our window. It's taken a while for these guys to learn to ignore us, and we've had more than a dozen here at once before, so I guess the three that are here now are the minority who decided the seeds might be worth the risk.
11-21-2011, 02:41 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
From today's shoot. I got out as the light was failing, so very soft light, not as sharp as the first photo... slow shutter speeds and I was using the 1.7x converter, but I still like the shot.

Tomorrow I'll get out in the daylight and see if I can get this a bit sharper.

As it got darker, I discovered a K20D doesn't do all that bad at 3200 ISO. Way better than what I would have got at 800 or 400.

11-21-2011, 04:23 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Fine shots! I swear, I think bluejays enjoy being photographed. They seem to pose for you! The first pic, in particular, is wonderful.
11-21-2011, 04:28 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I hope to be able to duplicate the first shot tomorrow, by the time I got out this evening I'd lost my light ( 3 o'clock , the sun is already behind the trees here.) The soft light hopefully affected the contrast. I'll get out earlier tomorrow.
« Fire Sky | kestrel »