Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Cape Horn
Lens: DA 18-55mm WR Camera: K20 
Posted By: xs400, 11-20-2011, 09:21 PM

One of the things that Patagonia and Tierra del Fuego is know for is bad weather. We were very lucky in that we had mostly good weather while on the trip. However, we did get the true Tierra del Fuego experience when we sailed to Cape Horn, the southern most tip of South America. While at Cape Horn we experienced 50mph winds and high seas. The weather caused us to cancel the Zodiac boat trip to land on Hornos Island, the southern most island in the Cape Horn area. As we sailded north from Cape Horn, everyone went below to escape the weather. However, I did go up on deck during the worst part of the wind and high seas. It was quite difficult walking on the deck with the high winds, rain and high seas. After I went below, they closed the upper deck for being too dangerous. I have to say it was quite exhilarating during those few minutes I was on deck fighting those 50-60mph winds.
(More pics from this trip are posted here > https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/165374-travel-ushuaia-argentina.html )

On deck near Cape Horn

Zodiacs with Hornos Island in the background. The K20 with 18-55mm WR lens came in very handy during times like this. The rain and wind did not cause me any problems, with the exception of raindrops on the lens.

As we sailed north, the weather began to clear and the seas were less rough.

Views: 727
11-20-2011, 09:24 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Tough conditions! Good work!
11-21-2011, 08:12 AM   #3
Veteran Member

The good old days! Worst seas I ever experienced were in Biscaya off the European coast. Ship was taking 40-45 degree rolls! It was pretty bad!
11-22-2011, 04:50 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Wow, Frank - what dramatic shots. And you are now truly an official Old Salt - you've gone around the Horn.

Jer