Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Got a macro lens, some of my first shots
Lens: Panagor 90mm/f2.8 Camera: Pentax K-r Photo Location: Virginia 
Posted By: loco, 11-21-2011, 01:50 PM

Courtesy of joe.penn in the forum marketplace, I am the proud new owner of a Panagor 90mm/f2.8 macro lens. I'm really loving this lens so far, but I have a lot to learn when it comes to macro photography. What I love about it besides the image quality is that it is about the easiest lens I've ever used for manual focus. The focus ring turns so much that you can really dial the focus in well without blowing right past it. Now, I'm not perfect by a longshot, but I have definitely noticed an improvement over other lenses I've tried to manually focus.

These first couple days it's been rather breezy outside, so I had to focus on indoor subjects. But today, it was a bit warmer and less windy, so I managed to find some insects! Yay! I also found a rusty grille on the heat pump. Who can resist a rusty grille?

Here are a few of my first shots. I hope to improve a lot! Hope you like them and thanks so much for looking.

Views: 1,844
11-21-2011, 02:27 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lori, funny thing is I knew this was a macro lens, so I was going to see how close you got and how well you focused. But, the first thing I noticed is that the color is wonderful with this lens, a lot better than my Pentax 50 f/2.8 macro it seems. Manual focus, you already got that down and the photos are very crisp and a joy to view. I haven't seen many bees or beetles here in the desert, so I am going to go out and find a rusty grill to compare with yours. Great job for sure. Bob
11-21-2011, 02:59 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Your shots look great to me, Lori. I'll bet it's nice using that long-throw focus ring, too! Beautiful colors, as Bob said - enjoy your new toy & I look forward to more of your shots from this lens.
11-21-2011, 03:10 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Lori, Excellent Shot! Especially for just getting the lens. The awesome thing is you got shots of a honeybee which is extremely detailed - that shot shows you what the lens is capable of.

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
But, the first thing I noticed is that the color is wonderful with this lens, a lot better than my Pentax 50 f/2.8 macro it seems.
And, quite a few others. The color reproduction with that Panagor is better than all of my other macros, I also think it edges out my other macros in sharpness (all but my Vivee 105 where sharpness is about the same). The only reason why I sold it was because I always use my Vivee 105 and the 90mm focal was just to close to 105 so never really used it much.

--

11-21-2011, 03:56 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Your shots are very good and will progress to be Great with practice on this new lens, for a first up attempt you've done very well.
11-21-2011, 03:58 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
Lori, funny thing is I knew this was a macro lens, so I was going to see how close you got and how well you focused. But, the first thing I noticed is that the color is wonderful with this lens, a lot better than my Pentax 50 f/2.8 macro it seems. Manual focus, you already got that down and the photos are very crisp and a joy to view. I haven't seen many bees or beetles here in the desert, so I am going to go out and find a rusty grill to compare with yours. Great job for sure. Bob
Thanks so much, Bob! Yes, the Panagor color is wonderful. LOL, good luck in your rusty grille search!

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
Your shots look great to me, Lori. I'll bet it's nice using that long-throw focus ring, too! Beautiful colors, as Bob said - enjoy your new toy & I look forward to more of your shots from this lens.
Thanks, Paul! Yes, it's quite fun. And I'm also really starting to appreciate catch-in-focus for the first time. I've used it before but this is what it was made for. While it does miss (or rather focuses on something I'm not intending to focus on) occasionally, it seems to do a great job more often than not when I use it.

QuoteOriginally posted by joe.penn Quote
Lori, Excellent Shot! Especially for just getting the lens. The awesome thing is you got shots of a honeybee which is extremely detailed - that shot shows you what the lens is capable of.

And, quite a few others. The color reproduction with that Panagor is better than all of my other macros, I also think it edges out my other macros in sharpness (all but my Vivee 105 where sharpness is about the same). The only reason why I sold it was because I always use my Vivee 105 and the 90mm focal was just to close to 105 so never really used it much.

--
Thanks so much, Joe! I'm really enjoying it. The only "weakness" I've noticed so far is that it does not like to shoot into light, but that is rather easily controlled (just don't shoot into the light! lol). It isn't the most contrasty lens ever, but that is fixed in Lightroom without much effort. The things that count for macro - color, sharpness, bokeh, ease of use, manual focus feel - are all wonderfully well handled with the Panagor!
11-21-2011, 04:00 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
Your shots are very good and will progress to be Great with practice on this new lens, for a first up attempt you've done very well.
Thanks so much, eaglem! Really appreciate that as I have long enjoyed your macro shots!

11-21-2011, 04:30 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Ioco, great use of a great macro lens. Nice when it good purchase comes together. JIM
11-21-2011, 07:39 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Second picture is superb.
Nice looking lens that.
11-21-2011, 08:00 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jimbo Quote
Ioco, great use of a great macro lens. Nice when it good purchase comes together. JIM
Thanks so much for your kind words, Jim! Yep, I've been wanting a macro for a long while and am very happy to have this lens.

QuoteOriginally posted by mickey Quote
Second picture is superb.
Nice looking lens that.
Thank you so much, mickey!
11-22-2011, 05:05 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

sensational, well done

cheers
CC.
11-22-2011, 06:50 AM   #12
Veteran Member

sharp and good color, congrats!
11-22-2011, 07:12 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Very nice shots Lori. That lens is certainly a keeper.---charliezap
11-22-2011, 07:15 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Cee Cee Quote
sensational, well done

cheers
CC.
Thanks so much for looking and your kind comments, CC!

QuoteOriginally posted by igor Quote
sharp and good color, congrats!
Thanks, Igor, I really appreciate the kind words!

QuoteOriginally posted by charliezap Quote
Very nice shots Lori. That lens is certainly a keeper.---charliezap
Many thanks, Charlie! Glad you like them.
11-22-2011, 07:36 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Great shots. How do you get them so sharp. I guess I need to invest in a macro lens, I can't seem to get sharp macro photos with my 18-55 kit lens.

bluestringer