Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Macro Test
Lens: Tamron Adaptall 90mm plus 01F TC Camera: K20D Photo Location: East Tennessee 
Posted By: mole, 11-22-2011, 07:13 PM

Two of my favorite work-related photo subjects are dragonflies and butterflies. Have gotten some pretty good shots with a Sigma 70-300 with 1:2 "macro" at the 300 end, but sharpness always seemed a little lacking. Have gotten better shots with the Sigma 105 macro, but it's difficult to get close enough to the shier 'flies with this focal length. I will never be able to afford any of the Pentax 200mm macros, nor the Sigma 180 macro.

But, thanks to Pentax Forum marketplace (thanks OrenMc!), was able to get an almost new condition Tamron Adaptall 90mm macro for a very fair price. Combined with an Adaptall 2 X TC, this becomes a 180mm 1:1 macro.

It's a bit late in the season for my intended "targets" for this lens, but had to get the lens when it (and the funds) were available.

Have had this "new toy" out a few times this week, just for some test shots.

Here are a few fungus shots with the new lens - some Turkeytail fungus and some tiny white mushrooms (not sure of the species).

And here are some rather "seedy" shots - seeds of Plume Grass, seed pod of Turk's Cap Lily, and Spicebush berries beginning to decay.

No dragonflies or butterflies out for a proper test of the new lens, but I have two Box Turtles in my office that are recovering from injuries. They were very cooperative subjects. Here's an Eastern Box Turtle, taken indoors by
#1: lit by my bicycle headlight!
#2: office light (see the fluorescent tube reflected in his eye)

Finally, here are a few snaps of a Three-Toed Box Turtle, lit by late afternoon sun, out on the driveway near our park office:

Can hardly wait until Spring and "bug" season to give this lens a real test!

So what do you think of this lens/TC combination? Thanks so much for any feedback!!
Views: 961
11-22-2011, 08:11 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great shots from your new toy, what I like about your threads, is you generally know the name of what you are photographing. The students visiting your park are going to love your macro photos, might be a nice handout for them.
11-22-2011, 09:13 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I'd say this is quite a successful test!! These are wonderful shots and so, so sharp. Congrats on your new toy, and I'm looking forward to seeing more shots from it. (I know how you feel - getting a macro lens this time of year. But spring will be here... eventually. )
11-22-2011, 09:39 PM   #4

Location: Jessica Lake, Whiteshell Provincial Park, or Winnipeg Manitoba, Canada
Very nice. You will definitely be busy when the weather turns warm and the bugs come back.

11-22-2011, 11:10 PM   #5
Pentaxian

The Tammie 90mm f2.8 1:1 is one of the best macro lens, and this 90mm f2.5 1:1 is almost as good as the latter.
I own a 2.5 and a 2.8 and never will sell them! 8)

Your shots are great!
11-23-2011, 08:12 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

terrific tammy captures... especially the turtles... beautiful colors and definition... well done... dave m
« first bee | Artists »