Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Montezuma Castle
Posted By: Bob Harris, 11-28-2011, 03:49 PM

The cliff dwellings were built and used by the Sinagua people, northern cousins of the Hohokam, around 700 AD and occupied until 1400 AD. Several Hopi clans trace their roots to immigrants from the Montezuma Castle/Beaver Creek area. Clan members periodically return to their former homes for religious ceremonies. When the cliff dwellings were discovered in the 1860s, they were named for the Aztec emperor Montezuma II, due to mistaken beliefs that the emperor had been connected to their construction.
There is a self-guided, 1/3-mile loop trail leads you past the incredible 5-story cliff dwelling, through a beautiful sycamore grove and along spring-fed Beaver Creek, one of only a few perennial streams in Arizona.

Attached Images

Views: 7,299
11-29-2011, 10:44 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
This thing is incredible and you did a great job of capturing it, Bob. Your Arizona pics are making want to see the area again.

Jer
Jer, just get into that Porsche and head west, it should only be a couple of tankfuls, it would make a great getaway for you guys. Thanks for the kind words. Bob

QuoteOriginally posted by tessfully Quote
What a wondrous place, I could never have imagined without these images. Thanks Bob!
Tess, can you imagine working in the fields and climbing the ladders with your belongings to spend your nights. What an adventure, take care and thanks for looking. Bob

QuoteOriginally posted by dcmsox2004 Quote
fascinating structures bob.... such history behind it... thanks for sharing... dave m
They really are Dave, it took a couple hundred years I believe to finish the cliff dwellings. There are pueblos on the ground level where they lived before occupying the cliffs. Amazing to think what they went through. Take care and thanks for commenting. Bob

11-30-2011, 12:36 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
More neat places....more neat shots! Very interesting ...keep them coming!
Regards!
thanks Rupert, glad you like the places we visit on our travels. Two years ago when we were in Texas, we visited the Longhorn Caverns, if you are ever in that neighborhood, I think you would enjoy them. Here is a link:
Longhorn Cavern State Park :: Eco Tours :: Cave :: Texas Hill Country :: Spelunking
11-30-2011, 08:39 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tpg2 Quote
Great shots Bob! It's amazing what early man had built!
Thanks for sharing! Tom
You're right Tom, I can't imagine doing something like this especially on the cliffs, I would just stay by the creek and fish all day. TFS, Bob
11-30-2011, 08:50 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by usn ret Quote
Great shots Bob, maybe you will meet up with Huell Howser somewhere in your travels. Thanks for taking the time to post and share.........Cliff
Cliff, funny you should mention that. We met Huell up at Sutter's Mill near Columa, he was filming a series about the discovery of gold. I have a photo of my wife Terri and Huell standing by the discovery site on the American River. Thanks for the kind words. Bob

11-30-2011, 10:23 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Nice shots - somewhat similar to the ruins at Canyon de Chelly.
12-01-2011, 12:52 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Nice shots - somewhat similar to the ruins at Canyon de Chelly.
Kyle, this place is a walk in the park compared to getting to the ruins at Canyon de Chelly. Thanks for looking, always appreciated. Bob
12-01-2011, 05:55 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Another great set of images along with the history - I love following you along on your adventures. I've always said that my computer monitor is my "window to the world" and your posts make that so true.

Once again, thanks for sharing - always looking forward to more!

12-01-2011, 08:28 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
Another great set of images along with the history - I love following you along on your adventures. I've always said that my computer monitor is my "window to the world" and your posts make that so true.

Once again, thanks for sharing - always looking forward to more!
Thanks so much for the kind words and I am glad you enjoy our travels. We will spend the winter in the Palm Springs area and I will try and post some day trip photos while we are there. We usually have our itinerary set for the next year, but holding back a bit to get some health issues cleared up. Take care and hope to see you on the road one day. Bob