Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
My first wedding!!!
Posted By: dudlew, 12-18-2007, 07:28 PM

Hello all, Have been busy of late with work and well more work. I shot my first wedding as the main photographer on Sunday, so i decided to post a few shots from the day....... Bear in mind that these few shots are 15 ( I shot 778 pics so 15 is a few )

So here goes:

The Bridal Party before the Ceremony

The groomsmen and the Groom

The Parents of the Bride ready to walk her down the aisle

The hand over

Standing at the altar

Family Members

The I do's

The Rings

The Kiss

and the rest for now

As usual I would love for your critiques, I am still learning, and hope to do so more on the theoretical side this holiday time permits, but your feedback as well is much appreciated.

P.S. With These, I did the post in The Bibble Pro Demo. I am thinking that the Perfectly Clear, and Fill Light features may be worth the price of admission alone. I am definitelylooking at Bibble as myRAW editor of choice. I am also thinking of returning to Photoshop as I think PSP is a litle heavyhanded for these kind of jobs. Its great and easy to use, but I feel that it can overdo its tasks sometimes.

Thanks Duane
Views: 2,651
12-18-2007, 07:52 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congratulations! From my un-edicated view point, they look pretty good. No doubt the more pro-element here will jump in with more objective opinions/commentary than I am able to offer you.

At my sons wedding a few years back, we had the standard pro charging a small fortune and my daughter armed with my old Pentax MX7 (?...that sound right)....anyway, while the pros photos were ok, the ones that caught peoples attention and drew a lot of comments (and requests for prints) were those taken by my daughter who had captured the "essence" of the event, not just pictures of people in static poses. I dont think this skill can be taught, you either have it, or not.
I can certainly get a feel for this wedding from looking at your shots. I love Dad's expression in the solo shot...."glad she's getting married and trying not to think of what this is costing me"....)

Cheers.
12-19-2007, 05:33 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Hi Duane, yes, it has been a while since you been here.

One shot that really stands out is the hand-over. I think you did a great job with this, considering the bright backlight coming from the outside.

The group shots are nice but maybe next time you could look-around for a background less busy. On the other hand you might have been limited by space.

I don't have experience with this skin tone but definately a fill-in flash would have come in handy especially in the groom's group shot.

Nice to see you back AND posting.
12-19-2007, 09:06 AM   #4

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GWP Quote
Congratulations! From my un-edicated view point, they look pretty good. No doubt the more pro-element here will jump in with more objective opinions/commentary than I am able to offer you.

At my sons wedding a few years back, we had the standard pro charging a small fortune and my daughter armed with my old Pentax MX7 (?...that sound right)....anyway, while the pros photos were ok, the ones that caught peoples attention and drew a lot of comments (and requests for prints) were those taken by my daughter who had captured the "essence" of the event, not just pictures of people in static poses. I dont think this skill can be taught, you either have it, or not.
I can certainly get a feel for this wedding from looking at your shots. I love Dad's expression in the solo shot...."glad she's getting married and trying not to think of what this is costing me"....)

Cheers.

Thanks GWP. That was my main concern, I feel I may have botched a few things, and next time I will walk with a check list and make sure I get everything, but all in all it was a good experience. The colour scheme of the groomsmen and groom made the situation difficult to say the least, but somehow I pulled it off.

QuoteOriginally posted by JCSullivan Quote
Hi Duane, yes, it has been a while since you been here.

One shot that really stands out is the hand-over. I think you did a great job with this, considering the bright backlight coming from the outside.

The group shots are nice but maybe next time you could look-around for a background less busy. On the other hand you might have been limited by space.

I don't have experience with this skin tone but definately a fill-in flash would have come in handy especially in the groom's group shot.

Nice to see you back AND posting.

Thanks JCsullivan,

It was definitely a challenge. The bride shots were simpler to shoot than the groom shots for sure. The groom (and the groomsmen as well )with his dark skin and near white suit, was hell in the open and no where to bounce off of. The shot you refer to has flash (The 360), but Because it was direct, the harsh lights would have blown out the suits. This was definitely a case where a greater knowldge of lighting would have helped me a great deal,..... and probably a second flash.

The other thing that bothered me a little was the disorganisation. The videographer didnt show up, the bride forgot her bouquet and only got it when she arrived at the reception, the bride was about 1 1/2 hours late, and the sun sets early here these days so it limited the light for the after ceremony shots.....these kind of niggling things. I also had my wife shooting a few back up shots with her point and shoot, to fill thing out, like the congregation and the guests at the reception, but she had a task, as my son had stomach issues and was a handful.

I also think I need to practice posing techniques. and sharpen my eye for the little things that you miss until you post process.

It was all a learning experience though, and I am happy for the comments and will do it all over again with no reservations.

Its nice to be the main photographer for once.

Oh,, I will post some more shots later. I think I got some of my better shots at the reception and the after ceremony.

D

12-19-2007, 10:50 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I've taken some liberty to give you an idea what you can do, some of which are traditional darkroom work - hope you dont mind.

Use the dodge tool to get back some of the colours which have been shadowed.
Use the cloning tool get rid of the wires - I see you tried it - don't move the clone tool
you can crop to get rid of the cars on the left

And of course you can with some patience use the magic wand to get rid of the background too.
Attached Images

12-19-2007, 11:03 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
A few ideas come to my mind with a brief look.
- try to reproduce a consistant skin tone for all shots
- don't be afraid to crop tight
- don't try to pose people too hard, just let them (and yourself too) relax and capture the smiles in cont. mode
12-19-2007, 03:29 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JCSullivan Quote
I've taken some liberty to give you an idea what you can do, some of which are traditional darkroom work - hope you dont mind.

Use the dodge tool to get back some of the colours which have been shadowed.
Use the cloning tool get rid of the wires - I see you tried it - don't move the clone tool
you can crop to get rid of the cars on the left

And of course you can with some patience use the magic wand to get rid of the background too.

Thanks for the suggestions JCsullivan. I actually forgot that I started to clone out the wires

I was that tired.

as to the other suggestions Thanks again. I have never really used dodge and burn, but I guess that this is a good way to test it out. I will clone those wires out as well. I don't know what the print sizes they would want are as yet, so I don't want to crop too tight, only for them to ask for a 4 x 6 print and I hve to cut some limbs. So i will do the cloning and try the dodge and burn and see what they want in terms of a print and then crop and trim from there.

QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
A few ideas come to my mind with a brief look.
- try to reproduce a consistant skin tone for all shots
- don't be afraid to crop tight
- don't try to pose people too hard, just let them (and yourself too) relax and capture the smiles in cont. mode

Hey wlachan,

Thanks for the suggestions.

The first one sounds quite difficult to doI must admit, what with dealing with different light and such, but I will ry.

I am not afraid to crop tight, but am wary about the print sizes they might ask for and prefer to crop to that size ifand when they want the pic.

Since both of you mention cropping, do you think I shuld crop fisrt and worry about printsize after? or crop after knowing he print size?

D

12-19-2007, 03:53 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Usually I crop to 2:3 ratio which is good for 4x6" or 8x12". If you aren't sure about the print size, just do all the PP then save in tiff format w/o resize as master copies, then create the cropped versions for slideshow. When asked, just resize them to the appropiate resolution with sharpening before printing.
12-19-2007, 03:53 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Well no. Its good to know the size ahead of time.
12-19-2007, 07:06 PM   #10

Original Poster
Here are a few more and a redo..........

So I decided to post a few more shots and the redo for JCsullivan to se if he approves

Here goes:

The Redo

Some Black and Whites

And a few others

So let me know if these are any better.
12-20-2007, 06:02 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I don't know if its up to me to approve, there are plenty of shooters with experience here. The fact of the matter is, if your client likes them then you did well.

However, these new ones you posted, including the crop, are excellent. Well done.
12-20-2007, 06:41 AM   #12

Original Poster
Hi JCsullivan, I know its not upto you, or anyone else here as a matter of fact, but I value your, and everyone else's, opinion. You guys have experience and it shows. Thats what I love about this forum and dpreview as well.

I would have not even considered the dodge or burn tool if you did not mention it, and I already see that it would be a great help. The clients have not seen the pics as yet as they have already gone on honeymoon, but what I plan to do is to PP as much as needs them as possible, and then do some index prints and let them pick the ones they want printed.

Please don't get fed up of me just yet as I am learning and all the help that I could get I would value.

Thanks

D