Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Door Into Summer
Lens: DA 15/4 Camera: K-5 Photo Location: National Wildlife Refuge, Lake Jackson, TX ISO: 80 Shutter Speed: 1/90s Aperture: F8 
Posted By: Sailor, 12-02-2011, 06:49 AM

While rambling through a National Wildlife Refuge near where we live, I noticed how this dead vine, pealed away from its host, formed a "frame" around a plant with summer-green leaves. The scene struck me as sort of portal to the past summer, which - in turn - reminded me of Heinlein's famous time-travel novel, "Door Into Summer." This sort of mental wandering happens when you've got time on your hands .

Jer

Views: 657
12-02-2011, 07:22 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
well spotted, I like that.

cheers
CC.
12-02-2011, 09:40 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am glad to see others have some time on their hands too. Interesting thoughts and capture here Jer.
12-02-2011, 01:54 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Good eye!

12-03-2011, 06:42 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Cee Cee Quote
well spotted, I like that.

cheers
CC.
Thanks for looking, CC.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
I am glad to see others have some time on their hands too. Interesting thoughts and capture here Jer.
Hey Bob - time is what I got! Actually, I've suffered little boredom since I retired 2.5 years ago - although I do miss doing science. Having a bunch of hobbies helps.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by tpg2 Quote
Good eye!
Thanks, CC.

Jer
12-03-2011, 07:42 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Either the 'Door Into Summer' or 'The Guardian' from the Star Trek (original series) episode "The City On The Edge Of Forever"

(I can't believe I just related a lovely photo to an episode of Star Trek.)

It is a very nice photo regardless. Just shows that a real photographer can always see that little bit more and farther than others.
12-03-2011, 06:18 PM   #7
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

That's a good eye for a nice shot....very sharp and clear with perfect color too! Too bad about summer.....I'm gonna miss it....could have snow here in N Tex on Monday......just a few more months, and it will all be over...I keep telling myself that, but it doesn't help much.
Regards!
12-03-2011, 07:05 PM   #8
Veteran Member

A lovely creative photo and oh look at that greenery! Your image does inspire poetic thought! thank you for posting

12-05-2011, 07:03 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mtansley Quote
Either the 'Door Into Summer' or 'The Guardian' from the Star Trek (original series) episode "The City On The Edge Of Forever"

(I can't believe I just related a lovely photo to an episode of Star Trek.)

It is a very nice photo regardless. Just shows that a real photographer can always see that little bit more and farther than others.
The Star Trek reference is terrific to me. I was an undergrad when Kirk first took command of the Enterprise on TV and loved the show. Thanks much for the nice words.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
That's a good eye for a nice shot....very sharp and clear with perfect color too! Too bad about summer.....I'm gonna miss it....could have snow here in N Tex on Monday......just a few more months, and it will all be over...I keep telling myself that, but it doesn't help much.
Regards!
Thanks, Rupert. We're finally getting some cooler weather and - thankfully - a good dose of rain. No snow, but a little chilly (for our neck of the woods) for the next couple of days.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by tessfully Quote
A lovely creative photo and oh look at that greenery! Your image does inspire poetic thought! thank you for posting
Thanks much, tess.

Jer
12-06-2011, 06:40 AM   #10
Millionth Poster!

Very nice find and great photo. We all get a little bent at times in our lives why not the trees
12-06-2011, 07:26 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Scottnorwo Quote
Very nice find and great photo. We all get a little bent at times in our lives why not the trees
Thanks, buddy. It's amazing how far this vine bent without breaking.

Jer