Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
I stand athwart LBA, yelling Stop
Lens: DA 18-55 AL Camera: K10D Photo Location: NC mountains to sea 
Posted By: baro-nite, 12-03-2011, 06:02 AM

Blast from the past.

My gradually accelerating LBA started snowballing last month. When it goes from, what lenses do I need? to, hey, that looks nice! you know it's LBA. I thought I was being clever by confining myself to K and M series glass, but that's not really much of a limit. Kind of like picking up shells on the beach. Except more expensive. Plus, there's the thrill of the chase -- oh look, a K 30/2.8! Didn't help that I've been laid up all week with a bad back (finally getting better). Left me all too much time to obsess over gear, trawl eBay, etc.

Stop.

Instead of checking eBay yet again I decided to look back at shots I've taken with the kit lenses. So here are a few favorites from summer 2007, when I had just bought the K10D with the DA 18-55 and 50-200.

Just after getting the camera we had a trip to the NC mountains, and lots of opportunities for a favorite subject -- wildflowers. Here's a Carolina Lily, showing that even the kit lens is fast enough for good subject isolation in a closeup (31mm @ f/4):

Back home about a week later, on a riverside hike, I got what remains one of my favorite images -- an Elephant's Foot aster (55mm @ f/8):

and on the same hike was lucky to get close to a perching hummingbird, a female Ruby-throated. This is the 50-200, at 200mm of course, wide open (f/5.6), on a tripod. I did as much sharpening as I felt I could get away with on the bird while leaving the rest only mildly sharpened. The 50-200, my copy at least, is just not a sharp lens, especially wide open. This is a crop, of course:

On a trip to the NC coast later that month I spent lots of time with the camera, and while I didn't get many keepers, there are a couple of landscapes I like. Salt marsh (18mm @ f/8, mild crop and not-so-mild PP):

Sunrise (18mm @ f/16, 1.5 seconds, desaturated):

And the following month, a trip to the VA mountains. Maples (18mm @ f/4, PP for fake bokeh):

A month or so later I bought a dedicated macro lens, so this set represents a particular era -- the basic kit. Next time I feel the LBA urge I'll probably post another set. Thanks for stopping by. All comments, C&C, etc., welcome and appreciated.

Last edited by baro-nite; 12-17-2011 at 01:51 PM. Reason: fix links
Views: 927
12-03-2011, 08:00 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I needed the inspiration to shoot with my kit lens. I think you did very well.
12-03-2011, 07:20 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I love all of these !!! and yes, I too have got some really great shots with my kit lens. Thank you for the reminder.
12-03-2011, 07:51 PM   #4
Inactive Account

The bokeh looks great on #1, #2, and #3.

12-03-2011, 08:24 PM   #5
Pentaxian

These are all very well done. You remind us all that it is the photographer and the image that count, not how much equipment you can accumulate.

Thank you for your wonderful images.
12-03-2011, 11:27 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I miss my kit lens now...

Good shots .... my kit was good to me!
12-04-2011, 06:17 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks very much to all for you kind comments! I can't say I've quite gotten over my LBA attack yet, but I'm getting there.