Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Does it work?
Posted By: TaoMaas, 12-19-2007, 12:55 PM

Okay....I applied the "Rough Pastel" filter to this pic, but try to overlook that if you can. This is a section of a picture I took from my parking garage the other day. The original pic had a horrible case of camera shake and I was about to delete it. I had zoomed in on the shot, vainly hoping that some part of it might be sharp, but it wasn't. That's when I spotted this section and thought, "Hmmm...." What do you think?

Attached Images

Views: 2,463
12-19-2007, 01:31 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Looks like an autistic kid painted it - great ability if he could just stop the shaking...
12-19-2007, 02:10 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Are you kidding? This piece looks pretty good IMO. It's very artsy, and the rough pastel look works for it.

It definitely looks like a painting. An excellent one.
12-19-2007, 05:23 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
For what it's worth, here's the entire original pic.

Attached Images

12-19-2007, 05:35 PM   #5
JMR
Veteran Member

It works very well as an "expressive" image; and you not tell anyone, since the image should be judge on its own merits. It reminds me of "distorted Visons's" images. Well done.

JMR
12-19-2007, 05:37 PM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom M Quote
Looks like an autistic kid painted it - great ability if he could just stop the shaking...
I think the entire picture does look alright.

However, as much as I tried not to laugh from the comment above - the shake is extremely obvious. If you look at the whole picture you can even see it looks like there is double lights/traffic lights for things that should be stationary. Also, the headlights looked doubled up too beyond the normal blurr effect, kinda outa sync. The overall filter looks fairly decent. You might wanna try it again with one of the table top tripods or something. It could be the road, but the shake makes it look like a really unnatural blurr.
12-19-2007, 06:35 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by CJSpangler Quote
I think the entire picture does look alright.

However, as much as I tried not to laugh from the comment above - the shake is extremely obvious. If you look at the whole picture you can even see it looks like there is double lights/traffic lights for things that should be stationary. Also, the headlights looked doubled up too beyond the normal blurr effect, kinda outa sync. The overall filter looks fairly decent. You might wanna try it again with one of the table top tripods or something. It could be the road, but the shake makes it look like a really unnatural blurr.

That's okay...I laughed, too. You're right about there being something weird about the shake and I'm not sure what it was. I was bracing on a concrete ledge and even though the shutter speed was fairly slow, it shouldn't have shaken as much as it did. I'm wondering if I had my IS on when it shouldn't have been and that's what hyped the shake.

Edited to add: Scratch the shake reduction theory. It wasn't turned on.

Last edited by TaoMaas; 12-19-2007 at 06:41 PM.
12-19-2007, 06:45 PM   #8
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

It's not something I'd shoot (although I did experiment with this as a technique a while back) but I like this. Somehow it's compelling. Not the sort of image you'd apply the typical critique to but it works for me. I think if the grain doesn't blow the shot it would look good as an 8x10 in the right frame and matt.
12-20-2007, 06:12 AM   #9
Veteran Member

There is nothing funny about Autism. Do you even know what autism is!

I think this is a great crop and whatever you've done to this image has turned it into a pleasing shot to look at.
12-20-2007, 10:21 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JCSullivan Quote
I think this is a great crop and whatever you've done to this image has turned it into a pleasing shot to look at.
I really didn't do a whole lot to it in PP. Bumped the sharpness a touch, added a bit of saturation, then added the rough pastel filter at the default setting except for changing the angle of the strokes.
12-20-2007, 11:21 AM   #11
Veteran Member

It's three in the morning here, I've just had four hours sleep on a hard, cold concrete floor, and my eyes are quite naturally bleary. Before I had a chance to focus them, The two cars on the left looked sort of like space aliens wearing aprons over flourescent green sweatshirts. That was pretty cool.
12-20-2007, 11:27 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I actually like the original better

QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
For what it's worth, here's the entire original pic.
I think the original has quite a few painterly qualities by itself. I like it. Have you tried any filters on the original (pastel maybe or colored pencil?)

NaCl(prefer the mood of the original)H2O
12-20-2007, 11:43 AM   #13
Igilligan

A great save...

I think you have done a really nice save on this shot. It is a good reminder to me to look around a bit before I hit delete.
How you found this crop in the middle of a funky shot is a mystery, but I am glad you did. The filter works very well for the look.

I have one of my own that I almost deleted. It was when I first got my long zoom P&S and on a 100 degree day I went out to try and shoot some airplanes landing. While waiting for planes I noticed two people in a field about a half mile away. So I just pointed at them to see how the zoom worked at that distance. I snapped and on the viewfinder it looked a bit blurry so I was gonna delete it. Then I saw a plane coming in...

I get home and realize the blur was cause by the heatwaves and the plane shots did not look very good. But when I cropped in on the field shot I looked like a Monet. It is still one of my favorite shot taken with my Sony.

My "Sonet"
12-20-2007, 12:04 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
I think the original has quite a few painterly qualities by itself. I like it. Have you tried any filters on the original (pastel maybe or colored pencil?)

NaCl(prefer the mood of the original)H2O

I haven't tried anything on the original, but I did mess with the colored pencil and some other filters on the cropped version. I wasn't sure how much I liked it, so I was just trying to make a version that I could use as the desktop on my computer for a few days.
12-20-2007, 03:36 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Sometimes it is the mistakes that open doors.

I like the rough pastel filter (not on everything.... but once in a while on the right style of shot).I feel that the camera shake actually makes the print. It gives it the impressionist feel. Without the shake the the imagine would lack movement and energy. Great idea !

Spyglass