Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Feather Tree
Lens: DA 21/3.2 Camera: K-5 Photo Location: Varner-Hogg Mansion, West Columbia, TX ISO: 3200 Shutter Speed: 1/30s Aperture: F4 
Posted By: Sailor, 12-06-2011, 10:13 AM

During our "Christmas Tour" of the Varner-Hogg mansion - an antebellum home in West Columbia - we were shown this "feather tree". According to the docent, such "trees" were produced by inserting small feathers into the "branches" from which the trees were assembled and were often used as Christmas trees in Europe and America during the mid 19th century. Unfortunately, I didn't get a closer shot, since we were in a tour group, and I didn't have time to switch lenses before moving on.

Jer

Last edited by Sailor; 12-06-2011 at 10:54 AM.
Views: 895
12-06-2011, 02:45 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Cool- never seen this before!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-06-2011, 05:39 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is basically a large version of the Christmas tree we put up in our motorhome. Interesting info and photo.
12-07-2011, 06:01 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Cool- never seen this before!
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
This is basically a large version of the Christmas tree we put up in our motorhome. Interesting info and photo.
Thanks for looking, Adam and Bob. I'd never heard of a "feather tree" either - the reason I posted the photo.

Jer

12-07-2011, 08:11 AM   #5
Veteran Member

What a fabulous idea! I collect feathers on my walks. Now I have something creative to do with them! Very nice image, and that table is to die for!!
12-07-2011, 04:44 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Interesting, never heard of a feather tree. That's something to research! TFS Tom
12-08-2011, 07:40 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tessfully Quote
What a fabulous idea! I collect feathers on my walks. Now I have something creative to do with them! Very nice image, and that table is to die for!!
Thanks, tess - the Varner-Hogg mansion has a fascinating history of rum and oil, and its a great place to photograph, bulding and grounds.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by tpg2 Quote
Interesting, never heard of a feather tree. That's something to research! TFS Tom
Nor had I Tom. The docent pointed out that the opulant Christmas decorations that one imagines in antebellum homes are largely that - imagination, and decorating materials were generally quite limited. She also mentioned that Christmas wasn't the major holiday then it is now and wasn't even a national holiday until after the Civil War.

Jer

12-09-2011, 07:57 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

sorry jer... but this shot really 'tickled' me... i am so sorry... couldn't help it...
the wife and i always talk about visiting the newport mansions during the holiday season, but never seem to get there...
from one old salt to another... wishing you and yours a joyous holiday season...all the best... dave m
12-10-2011, 06:08 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks, Dave - and a feather tree is nothing to sneeze at (ugh).

Jer