Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Anchor's Away!
Lens: SMC Takumar 55/1.8 Camera: Pentax K-5 Photo Location: Tokyo ISO: 800 
Posted By: Mike Cash, 12-09-2011, 05:41 AM

Pentax K-5
SMC Takumar 55/1.8

Okay....I admit it. I took this photo for the sole reason that I thought of a title that might make for a little fun as pedant bait.
Views: 895
12-09-2011, 11:44 AM   #2
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by First Poster Quote
I took this photo for the sole reason that I thought of a title that might make for a little fun as pedant bait.
Okay, I'll be the first.
The title of the thread is very similar "anchor(s) aweigh", which is a nautical term and the name of a U.S. Navy march.

Last edited by Parallax; 12-09-2011 at 01:21 PM.
12-09-2011, 02:51 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I figured on catching the eye of someone who would point out my mistaken use of an apostrophe to indicate the plural and who would be eager to lecture on the difference between "away" and "aweigh" and how the latter means the opposite of what most people think the phrase means. But, as you can see, the anchor is away....probably sent it to Earl Scheib for a $99 paint job.
12-09-2011, 03:09 PM   #4
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
I figured on catching the eye of someone who would point out my mistaken use of an apostrophe to indicate the plural
I didn't notice that there was no chain so it is indeed away. (The) anchor's aweigh would also be proper if the anchor were off of the bottom suspended from (weighing on) the chain, so either way the use of the apostrophe could be correct.
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
who would be eager to lecture on the difference between "away" and "aweigh" and how the latter means the opposite of what most people think the phrase means
Glad I didn't disappoint you.

Last edited by Parallax; 12-09-2011 at 03:17 PM.
12-09-2011, 08:16 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Checking this post on my iPhone without clicking the image link I thought 'hey, that's not right!'

But after I saw the pic I thought 'lol, dat's a goot one !'