Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Cotton Fields
Posted By: Bob Harris, 12-09-2011, 08:20 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Photo taken on the Colorado River Indian Tribe reservation in Arizona. Cotton prices are up and they have converted from alfalfa to cotton to export to China. Photos taken in b/w and color, not sure which I like best, but the b/w seems to give a different perspective. I picked a couple of the cotton bolls and this is not an easy job, fields are now cut by machine during harvest.

Attached Images

Last edited by Bob Harris; 12-09-2011 at 09:46 PM.
Views: 5,038
12-11-2011, 06:27 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tessfully Quote
This is such an interesting and cool series. I have never seen a cotton field so appreciate seeing them. I do like the black and white... very artistic. Seeing the pod with the cotton still in it is cool too. Thanks so much for posting these Bob.
Thanks so much for taking a look Tess, I used the carpet in one of the motorhome bins for the cotton backdrop, gave a nice contrast.

12-11-2011, 06:31 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by basquist02 Quote
Nice shots Bob. I like the color pic best, but saying that I think the b&w good look outstanding if done with some hdr treatment.
How about we trade white stuff?.............Bas
Bas, I don't use HDR very much, but you are right, this would have given an interesting look. I appreciate you thinking about trading snow for cotton, but I would have to purchase a jacket and that isn't going to happen.
12-15-2011, 12:47 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Bob, you right about the dried cotton boles being very nasty in the they cut and scratch. The pics remind me of some of my youth harvesting the nasty stuff with my brothers, one of driving the harvester, the other making sure the back of the trailor filled first, with a pitch fork you know. dust and and other stuff. Thanks for posting. Cliff
12-15-2011, 09:44 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by usn ret Quote
Bob, you right about the dried cotton boles being very nasty in the they cut and scratch. The pics remind me of some of my youth harvesting the nasty stuff with my brothers, one of driving the harvester, the other making sure the back of the trailer filled first, with a pitch fork you know. dust and and other stuff. Thanks for posting. Cliff
Cliff, you learned young about hard work, and to think I complained about weeding in the yard. Thanks for the added story, I do think that would of been wonderful to grow up on a farm, makes you appreciate what a person has.

12-15-2011, 09:56 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
Cliff, you learned young about hard work, and to think I complained about weeding in the yard. Thanks for the added story, I do think that would of been wonderful to grow up on a farm, makes you appreciate what a person has.
Yes, growing up on the farm made the Navy easy. The last advice POP gave me before leaving for bootcamp was, you are going to get your but chewed out, it is not personal, listen and learn from it. pretty solid advice. I sure miss him. Cliff