Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
3 Likes  
Mostly Eclipsed Moon Setting Over the Front Range
Posted By: Mark Castleman, 12-10-2011, 07:50 AM

I got this just as the Moon was about to completely move into the umbra but before it set behind the mountains, which means I had a about 3 minutes to work with. I find eclipse photos tough because of the extreme contrast between the area of the Moon in the Earth's shadow and the part still in direct sunlight.

Views: 3,532
12-10-2011, 07:10 PM   #16
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good ones here.
Thanks for sharing these unique views of the little satellite.

12-10-2011, 07:59 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Some excellent shots. We missed it here. Only the very beginning would have been visible and it was quite overcast.
12-10-2011, 09:10 PM - 1 Like   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by OzzRod Quote
Here's an impression of what we saw from north of Sydney. Australia. High cloud drifted in shortly after mid eclipse but it was a pretty good view until then.
In simular style as OzzRod, but from Perth

12-11-2011, 06:28 AM   #19
Veteran Member

I really like the shots placing it in the landscape, so much more interesting than just a grey sphere.
It was too high in the sky down here.

Here's my effort from the southern end of Sydney.

It didn't start off very promisingly, with a lot of cloud passing early on. I only managed 3 shots of the early phase when the cloud briefly thinned out.
Also, I was quite drunk from attending our street Christmas party for the 8 hours previously which can't have helped.
I got a few from the 50minutes of totality finding it between breaks in the clouds.
Clouds cleared up towards the end (3am here), and so did my head, so had a few half decent shots form then.

With K-7, DA*300 + AFA 1.7x (510mm)
Cropping only with Microsoft picture manager + Stitched with Microsoft ICE. (appears to be a few jaggies, sorry)

@elpolodiablo +1 on the Slik Sprint Pro II. First time I had used it with a DA*300.
It felt unstable with the legs partly extended and too flexible with them fully out.
I had to constantly shift position to be shaded from a street light and each time it took the best part of a minute of jiggling on the rubber feet to get he legs seated "nicely" (without any flex in the lower part of the legs)

I think I will spend a bit more money on a decent tripod and less on beer in future.

12-11-2011, 12:41 PM - 1 Like   #20

Photos: Gallery
Here's one of my shots here in SW Missouri at 6:57 am as the moon was setting with my new (Cyber Monday!) K-5 with my mom's old Pentax M film camera 210 mm zoom lens with a 2x teleconverter. This shot was f 4.5, ISO 3200, 1/60 second.