Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Oops, bridge to low & ship to high...
Lens: DA*16-50 Camera: K-5 Photo Location: Bergum, the Netherlands ISO: 200 Aperture: F5.6 
Posted By: Fries, 12-12-2011, 03:10 PM

As a journalist I sometimes get to see some pretty remarkable accident scenes. This is one of them. This was probable caused by the water level being higher locally because the ship passed four bridges with the same height without any problems. Luckily nobody was harmed.

Views: 2,419
12-12-2011, 05:26 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
dam... that's gotta hurt!... are the water levels controlled or was this a natural variation? nicely captured by the way.

cheers
CC.
12-12-2011, 05:37 PM   #3
Closed Account

Now that is something you don't see everyday! Great timing.
12-12-2011, 07:35 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Man! Check out the sparks.

12-12-2011, 08:02 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I wouldnt be on that pontoon in case one container decide to tip

cheers
12-12-2011, 08:18 PM   #6

that's just insane. holly potato!!! :-O
12-12-2011, 08:43 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

the sparks look like someone working with an angle grinder to cut it free I don't think the boat's moving at this stage.

12-12-2011, 10:09 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Good catch there Remco, that is probably the container that contains the Christmas gifts I ordered, that is the excuse I will use anyway.
12-12-2011, 10:36 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Sure that wasn't a barge instead of a ship?

Looks like whoever laid out the loading thought a couple of 9'6" hi-cube containers were regular 8'6" containers.
12-13-2011, 02:29 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I probably was a little naughty by not telling you that this container ship had been stationary for about an hour when I arrived and it stayed there for about 6 hours. The sparks where from someone trying to cut it free, but that didn't work. They had to use blow torches later on. When I posted this and some more photo's on the Dutch Pentaxian forum another member there working in the port of Rotterdam told us he loaded the ship! But it wasn't his fault; it was determined that the water level had risen locally. That water level is controlled but slight variations are possible. In this case the general water level was hight anyway because of bad weather. The captain noticed at the first bridge on this canal that he was somewhat to high and used his ballast tanks to reduce his height. That worked perfectly until this bridge...

Cheers,

Remco
12-13-2011, 03:52 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Nice photo, also noticed the traffic lights on the bridge, you could call this photo 'All stop'!
12-13-2011, 08:42 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bruce Quote
Nice photo, also noticed the traffic lights on the bridge, you could call this photo 'All stop'!
Yep, good idea!
12-13-2011, 08:57 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fries Quote
...... In this case the general water level was hight anyway because of bad weather. The captain noticed at the first bridge on this canal that he was somewhat to high and used his ballast tanks to reduce his height. That worked perfectly until this bridge...

Cheers,

Remco
I am suprised that they don't have a height check with respect to clearances, They do on roads, for trucks (although truckers make similar mistakes from time to time)

I am also suprised that the captain can't let a little more water into the ballest tanks to drop the barge (Mike is correct, not a ship) a little more and back it out.
12-13-2011, 10:51 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I am suprised that they don't have a height check with respect to clearances, They do on roads, for trucks (although truckers make similar mistakes from time to time)

I am also suprised that the captain can't let a little more water into the ballest tanks to drop the barge (Mike is correct, not a ship) a little more and back it out.
I'm not a native English speaker so it's difficult for me to decide what this kind of vessel exactly is. The ship has its own motor and cabin. Perhaps this video clarifies it: Omrop Fryslân - Alle dagen nij!.
Because the containers are so high (as you can see on the photo below) they probably use camera's and radar to navigate. They tried to free the vessel by letting in more water into the ballast tanks, but the containers were firmly lodged into the bridge. Off course you can drop the vessel even more and force it but that's risky for the bridge (which wasn't that damaged) and I guess they tried to keep the containers on deck. And Bob almost al the containers where empty!

12-14-2011, 03:15 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fries Quote
I'm not a native English speaker so it's difficult for me to decide what this kind of vessel exactly is. The ship has its own motor and cabin. Perhaps this video clarifies it: Omrop Fryslân - Alle dagen nij!.
Because the containers are so high (as you can see on the photo below) they probably use camera's and radar to navigate. They tried to free the vessel by letting in more water into the ballast tanks, but the containers were firmly lodged into the bridge. Off course you can drop the vessel even more and force it but that's risky for the bridge (which wasn't that damaged) and I guess they tried to keep the containers on deck. And Bob almost al the containers where empty!
I believe that would be classified as a "motorized barge" or "self-propelled barge". It looks as though there is a pilot house in the bow.