Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
1 Like  
the Rude Hummingbird
Posted By: Bob Harris, 12-13-2011, 09:26 PM

Sticking his tongue out at his friends.
Hummingbirds actually have a long flexible tongue that is good for reaching into long flowers or the bottom of your feeder. The tongue itself isn't just muscle but includes a series of small bones folded accordion-like. When a hummer flexes its tongue muscles, these bones unfold and allow the hummer to extend its tongue more than an inch past the tip of the nearly inch-long bill. A hummingbird's tongue can lap at the rate of 13times per second.
Many hadn't see a roadrunner before so I thought I would share a hummingbirds tongue, not often seen either. Thanks for looking.

Attached Images

Last edited by Bob Harris; 12-13-2011 at 09:43 PM.
Views: 2,285
12-15-2011, 12:13 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bluestringer Quote
Nice shots. I'll have to look for that when the hummers come back here in the Spring.
Glad you like the photos, isn't it amazing these little guys migrate such long distances.

12-15-2011, 08:23 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by loco Quote
Wow, these are beautiful, Bob! It's amazing you caught him with the tongue out! They are gorgeous and fascinating little birds.
Thank you Lori, I have been waiting for a shot like this for years, finally...
now if I can just get one photo of a grizzly bear cub up close
12-16-2011, 03:59 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
now if I can just get one photo of a grizzly bear cub up close
Sounds like a great idea. Be sure to leave instructions to post the pictures here though, in case Momma bear does not appreciate it.
12-16-2011, 08:24 AM   #19
Veteran Member

A beautiful bird with an odd habit! Maybe she's hot? Lovely photos and amazing colours!

12-16-2011, 12:31 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jolepp Quote
Some variety of these guys I have actually seen, I now know more about their physique though (makes perfect sense to have an insect-like feature like that if you are going to do insect-like stuff like having flower nectar for food, nature has a special knack of making sense that way I guess ).
You're right about these little guys and they can maneuver like a helicopter and dive like a jet and fight like junkyard dogs. Amazing aren't they. thanks for viewing, always appreciated.

QuoteOriginally posted by charliezap Quote
Very nice interesting shots Bob.I'm going to have to wait until next Spring for my hummers to return.--charliezap
Charlie, with you having the penthouse for them, Jake and family should move back in next year for you to enjoy on your retirement.
12-16-2011, 12:36 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Very cool Bob.... keep up the good work.
Thanks Norm, with you being such a nature lover I would imagine you have hummingbird feeders, or don't they travel up that far north?
12-16-2011, 07:32 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jolepp Quote
Sounds like a great idea. Be sure to leave instructions to post the pictures here though, in case Momma bear does not appreciate it.
Funny you should say that, but that is basically what my wife says when I go out and shoot lightning strikes. Thanks for the reminder, I will tell Terri to post last photos here.

12-17-2011, 12:05 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Googled about this, apparently they do this fairly often.
12-17-2011, 12:20 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by song_hm Quote
Googled about this, apparently they do this fairly often.
Yes, I think you are right, but the trick is getting a photo of them while they are doing it, one of those right place, right time events. thanks Bob
12-17-2011, 12:23 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tessfully Quote
A beautiful bird with an odd habit! Maybe she's hot? Lovely photos and amazing colours!
Tess, I think he was just cleaning up for an early date with one of the gals, his bill was probably a bit dirty. take care, Bob
12-17-2011, 01:14 PM   #26

Location: Jessica Lake, Whiteshell Provincial Park, or Winnipeg Manitoba, Canada
These are wonderful. They made me smile. Thanks for sharing. I am assuming it is a "he", he looks almost furry instead of feathered. Truly amazing.

bigted
12-17-2011, 08:46 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bigted Quote
These are wonderful. They made me smile. Thanks for sharing. I am assuming it is a "he", he looks almost furry instead of feathered. Truly amazing.

bigted
BigTed, glad you like the photos and thank you for the kind words. I think the feathers on his head are so short it does look like fur or a bad hair cut.
He probably uses gel to impress the girls.