Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
photos taken by rookie with Kr
Posted By: frankfanrui, 12-18-2011, 04:59 AM

Hi, these pictures were taken in 2~3 months after I got my first SLR, just want to share with everyone here and looking for comments that can help me improve.

Attached Images

Views: 1,332
12-18-2011, 05:44 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm moving this to post your photos as that's where you can get feedback on your photos. If you have any specific questions about camera usage or technique, you can post those in the k-r forum or in the photo technique sections, respectively.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-18-2011, 10:17 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Frank, as a rookie I believe you are off to a good start. I like the way you use the sun and light to enhance and affect your pics. Keep doing what you are doing and it will improve as you gain confidence. Keep shooting and keep posting. Merry Christmas Cliff
12-18-2011, 11:46 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I Like your photos, well done. ... 1,3 & 4 my favorites, 5 & 8 could maybe use a bit more contrast.

cheers
CC.

12-18-2011, 07:42 PM   #5

Original Poster
thanks for your suggestion, i believe it will help me next time I held the camera in hand.
12-18-2011, 07:44 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thank you very much for the encourage, and also hope you have good times here with everyone else.
12-18-2011, 10:43 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi

I visited China only recently, perhaps even the same neighborhood where you were. From that I know the constant battle to get clear pictures with any sort of meaningful sky. Like you, it seems, I was constantly confronted with this bright washed out whitish grey hazy sky. Nevertheless I came home with some quite acceptably pics.

May I just pull out shot No.8 for some comments.

Firstly, when shooting wide angle architectural motives the resulting falling lines are ever present. Sometimes they work in an image and sometimes they don't. In my impoverished opinion the falling lines in your image do not work. Don't ask me why, but my eyes say we don't like it. The beauty with digital photography, it can be corrected. So I went to work to do this.

Secondly, the perspective of your image is such that I think it can benefit from a crop. Sometimes one can crop an image without loosing important motive components. When you compare my crop with the original I think you will agree that nothing important is lost, but now the image "hangs together" better. (Me thinks)

Thirdly, I have ever so slightly corrected contrast, colour, saturation and luminance for a bit of extra punch. But the overall haziness remains which I guess is from the ever present pollution in China.

You have a good eye which will only get better with experience. My suggestion is: Import you images in some manipulation software and play around with it as far as framing is concerned. Shift, skew, rotate, crop; this way you develop a feel for what looks good and next time you frame a shot on location what you see through the viewfinder will take on a different meaning.

Good luck and happy Xmas

Last edited by Schraubstock; 09-16-2012 at 05:27 PM.
12-19-2011, 12:47 AM   #8

Original Poster
hey, it's so nice to get such detailed comment from you.

You made a point about the light, the photo you mentioned "contains" too much light I think. This makes the whole picture looks a little bit pale. Yes, as you can see I did nothing on these pictures with any software after I copied them from my SD card. Now I am trying to acquire useful skills in photography processing with software's, but I feel it needs much more practicing on different types of photo, so I have a long way to go now

Again, thank you for your input, i helps me.
12-21-2011, 08:23 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi Frankfanrui

I am one of those here in this forum to tread where others fear to go. I speak my mind (politely) but honestly. I am not afraid to say I don't like a picture if I honestly think in my opinion it is no good. I am no authority but I had some schooling in art and photography and base my opinions on that. It is often also not understood that not every picture can be or should be a master piece. The ones that stand out will ever only be a few (myself included) and that means more often than not to be in the right place at the right time.

Having said this it should not come across to you as a put down when I say of the series of pics you posted I consider only two that can be keepers and of those two they are only worth holding on to with some PP. And of course this means investing in some photo manipulation software. Digital photography, unlike the old analogue photography where I grew up in, makes correcting images ever so much more productive. Unfortunately a lot of folk misunderstand the possibility this provides and go with colour correction way over the top and in the process spoil an otherwise well taken image. Just because software can turbocharge colours that does not mean it must be done, so there is a discipline to adhere to.

Your lantern shot is quite nice but it is too flat and lacks depth. And in my opinion it should also undergo a more rigorous crop. I think you do not need so much of the of the window front behind it, with less on either side it is still giving the image the background it needs but concentrates once gaze towards the lanterns and the weed which I think should be the case. So don't be afraid to experiment with cropping, you always safe the original so you can go back to it.

It's not a bad capture and you have a good eye, really

Greetings

Last edited by Schraubstock; 09-16-2012 at 05:27 PM.
12-21-2011, 08:31 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sorry, I forgot, this is the other one I would keep. It's very very nice!

Greetings

Last edited by Schraubstock; 02-16-2013 at 01:48 AM.
12-21-2011, 08:40 PM   #11
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
Sorry, I forgot, this is the other one I would keep. It's very very nice!

Greetings
I have a feeling that's the moon on a long exposure. Not the sun.
Correct me if I'm wrong.
12-21-2011, 11:15 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LightSpeed Quote
I have a feeling that's the moon on a long exposure. Not the sun.
Correct me if I'm wrong.
Hi

I can't tell I did not take the picture.

Greetings
12-22-2011, 05:41 AM   #13

Original Poster
Hey my friend, sure I won't take it as a put down regarding to your opinion, actually I am happy to have people "pointing at" my picture with nice suggestion and worm comments.

I found it's quite interesting to have someone from different culture sharing opinions for same thing. Take the "lantern" one, the word "flat" is a just description, I feel it so when I look at it again after I saw your comment. It looks the first one is covered with a layer of thin veiling, and you unveiled it. I asked my wife to look at this picture before and after your adjustment, she agreed the original one is flat, and also the modified one is much better. But she also feel the red and green part is a little bit overdid. It may be better if these two parts can be not so "shining".

Anyway, I think there isn't always a correct way when you judge a picture since different people have different view of point. I want to say, first, your adjustment one this picture is nice, one lesson-learn for me; secondly, I am really happy to have someone like you to spend time writing comments for me.

Have a nice day.

Greetings.