Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
The Cobbler
Lens: DA 15 Ltd Camera: K5 Photo Location: Shanghai ISO: 80 Shutter Speed: 1/200s Aperture: F4 
Posted By: Frogfish, 12-18-2011, 01:58 PM

Usually there are two of them (husband & wife ?) working together down this tiny alley but today he was alone and I had a chance to shoot.

Which version do you like best (sorry about the frame encroaching on the shot - obviously in print it wouldn't be) ?

Views: 852
12-18-2011, 02:57 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Frog - awesome pic!!! The second one is great!!!!

Edit: That second one is as close to perfect as a photo can get - what PP finishing?
12-18-2011, 03:17 PM   #3
Pentaxian

I like the original colour... especially the little painting on the end of his box, it's perfectly muted in the colour version but just sort of fade away in the mono-tome versions. I generally like monotone when the colour doesn't add anything to the picture. But there are subtle tonal areas here where the colour contrast is the only contrast.
12-18-2011, 03:52 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Kevin, it seems that the color version brings out the clutter which is an important part of the photo. How does another person work in such a small area, surprised the wife doesn't make him clean the mess up, that is what mine does anyway.

12-19-2011, 01:41 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you Joe, Normhead and Bob for taking the time to comment. Much appreciated and I'm glad you enjoyed the shot ! It is amazing how, across the different forums I posted this on, there is no consensus of opinion with the chosen version being evenly spread.

Joe - I used NIK's Silver Efex Pro 2 and also added a number of control points to tweak the brightness here and there.
12-22-2011, 03:28 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I found it very interesting that was no consensus of opinion, but a lot of valid comments, as to the best version and can only conclude that it all boils down to personal preference !

Across 5 forums the voting went like this :

Colour 13 = 37%
Sepia 13 = 37%
B&W 9 = 26%
12-22-2011, 05:50 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

something special about a craftsman plying his trade on a busy street... replete with all the tools necessary to effect repairs.... well done... dave m

12-22-2011, 10:09 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dcmsox2004 Quote
something special about a craftsman plying his trade on a busy street... replete with all the tools necessary to effect repairs.... well done... dave m
Thanks Dave. I've often seen this guy in what seems to be his usual spot and always liked what I've seen ...despite the chaos surrounding him