Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Not quite a Photo
Posted By: Falcons, 12-23-2007, 07:29 AM

Just messing around with a shot from my oldest sons Karate class - sort of trying to learn this graphics art thing by trial and error.

Anyway just wondering if anyone else on here gets into this sort of thing and could point me in the right direction for some tutorials etc.

Well here it is -

Attached Images

Views: 1,473
12-23-2007, 08:56 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nice falcons , I done a bit a that but have no tutorials handy what PP software are you using ? I usually google then it it something I will dpo a lot of look for a good book (again more google).

I like the placement of your translucent son in the lower left , the other one does not work for me , he kind of seems not only out of place but he is suspended.
12-23-2007, 08:45 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

hmm, well im a graphic designer/printer by trade, so all i can suggest is to be very careful with crop and paste.. and if you do plonk an image onto another image,, either make sure your crop is perfect or smudge out the edge of it to allow for the imperfections..surgical outlines against a not so surgical background with different sharpness levels etc.. do not often work..
on the same note.. these sort of images are personal to the creator and obviously because this is your son, its going to be a great shot/result regardless.

im more than happy to show you an example of my own if you email me some pictures of your son and a background that you would like. and i can email you a step by step guide to help you ?

kevsta22@hotmail.com
12-24-2007, 01:53 PM   #4
Veteran Member

blending layers

Falcons,

This is a great shot... I have done alittle of this type of work with my niece pictures. The only thing is if you are layering you need to blend a bit more in my mind..

DV mentioned this is his post as well. What I do is use the lasso technic (I use paint.net but I think PS has this as well) and circle just the bare out line and then gaussian blur it to a 1 or 2. This in mho blends it so there is no line but there is still detail.

I hope you dont mind but I tried it on your pic and this is how it came out.. the lines are not as pronounced. but it really is up to you and what you like most..

Let me know what you think?? yah or nah..

Also.. how did you get it the layers to be translucent???? I have tried this but can't quite do it..

Kim

12-24-2007, 07:13 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks Kim,
Your version was exactly what I was looking for.
I couldn't quite work out a way to blend the edges - will have to experiment (ie play) a bit more and see what I can come up with.

My wifes right into digi scrapbooking but she doesn't have the patience to teach me some of her blending tricks.

I'll attach one of hers below (it was made using one of my photos.)

I found using soft light on the photo in a layer gave the translucent effect.

DV,
Thanks for the offer - i will email you about it soon.
I admire your photography so I would love to see one of your graphic creations.

Merry Christmas Everyone.
Attached Images

12-24-2007, 09:16 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Falcons,

That is a wonderful picture.. your wife is very talented.. I will have to look into that soft light option??

Glad I could help!!!! good luck ... .can't wait to see your next try!!

Kim