Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
  #1
Be very quiet...
Posted By: areidjr, 12-23-2007, 11:59 AM

...so you don't scare away Santa.

A Very Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to All!



--
Al
Views: 2,825
12-23-2007, 12:32 PM   #2
Veteran Member
daacon's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Alberta,Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 20,915
Nice ;-) I was expecting the Emler Fudd and the Rascally Rabbit Merry Christmas to you and yours as well. Nice photo BTW.
12-23-2007, 12:53 PM   #3
Veteran Member
MRRiley's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Sterling, VA, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 6,275
Nice shot. Think you need to adjust the color balance a tad though. Either she is cold or there is a slight blue cast (mostly in her face and hand). Happy holidays...
12-23-2007, 01:29 PM   #4
Veteran Member
Stratman's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: St Louis, Missouri U S A
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,464
If she scares Santa away, I question his manhood, lol

12-23-2007, 06:05 PM   #5
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Pittsburgh, Pa, USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 529
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Nice ;-) I was expecting the Emler Fudd and the Rascally Rabbit Merry Christmas to you and yours as well. Nice photo BTW.

LOL, I hadn't thought of that Thanks, Dave.

--
Al
12-23-2007, 06:06 PM   #6
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Pittsburgh, Pa, USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 529
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
Nice shot. Think you need to adjust the color balance a tad though. Either she is cold or there is a slight blue cast (mostly in her face and hand). Happy holidays...

Thanks, Mike. I made an adjustment and I think it looks a little better now.

--
Al
12-23-2007, 06:09 PM   #7
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Pittsburgh, Pa, USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 529
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Stratman Quote
If she scares Santa away, I question his manhood, lol
She's only in 9th grade so Santa better keep his hands off

--
Al

12-23-2007, 06:54 PM   #8
Veteran Member
Stratman's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: St Louis, Missouri U S A
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,464
QuoteOriginally posted by areidjr Quote
She's only in 9th grade so Santa better keep his hands off

--
Al
Whoops !!! lol
12-23-2007, 07:28 PM   #9
Veteran Member
distorted_vision's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: melbourne, ozzland
Posts: 1,267
QuoteOriginally posted by areidjr Quote
She's only in 9th grade so Santa better keep his hands off

--
Al
lmfao!!! thats gold!! slightly disturbing.....

Last edited by distorted_vision; 12-23-2007 at 08:38 PM.
12-24-2007, 12:57 PM   #10
Veteran Member
cardinal43's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Virginia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,412
Nice photo! In looking at the exif data, I noticed that it was automatic flash. Just curious, but was it the built-in flash on the K100D? I will be taking a lot of indoor photos of my grandson next month (haven't seen him since July and I can't wait to spoil the crap out of him), and I seem to be having trouble with using flash indoors (I have the K100D also). Thanks for the info.
12-24-2007, 01:28 PM   #11
Veteran Member
distorted_vision's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: melbourne, ozzland
Posts: 1,267
QuoteOriginally posted by cardinal43 Quote
Nice photo! In looking at the exif data, I noticed that it was automatic flash. Just curious, but was it the built-in flash on the K100D? I will be taking a lot of indoor photos of my grandson next month (haven't seen him since July and I can't wait to spoil the crap out of him), and I seem to be having trouble with using flash indoors (I have the K100D also). Thanks for the info.
hey mate,, when you say you have been having troubles with the flash..do you mean it wont work or that you are not happy with the results.? i use a k100ds also, and i have found the onboard flash to be quite useful. in saying that, i went out and bought an additional flash for low LOW light condition. i have been experimenting with difusers etc and i have been coming up with some interesting results...
12-24-2007, 01:46 PM   #12
Veteran Member
cardinal43's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Virginia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,412
It works fine -- almost too fine. I'm getting a lot of "too light" faces. Sort of like a flashlight in someone's face. I haven't had the camera long, and I know it takes time to get the "right" shot, so I look at a lot of portraits and see what shadows are there/aren't there and try to imagine what lighting I should use, it this makes sense. My wife doesn't like for me to take her picture at all, so I'll "experiment" with my grandson when he visits.
12-24-2007, 03:08 PM   #13
Pentaxian
ChipB's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Austin, TX area
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,412
QuoteOriginally posted by cardinal43 Quote
It works fine -- almost too fine. I'm getting a lot of "too light" faces. Sort of like a flashlight in someone's face. I haven't had the camera long, and I know it takes time to get the "right" shot, so I look at a lot of portraits and see what shadows are there/aren't there and try to imagine what lighting I should use, it this makes sense. My wife doesn't like for me to take her picture at all, so I'll "experiment" with my grandson when he visits.
Tom, if your K100D's menu choices are like mine (*ist DS) you can set flash EV compensation via the main menu - I found that for my camera, +.5 seems to work best. Something else to play with!!
12-24-2007, 04:08 PM   #14
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Pittsburgh, Pa, USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 529
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cardinal43 Quote
Nice photo! In looking at the exif data, I noticed that it was automatic flash. Just curious, but was it the built-in flash on the K100D? I will be taking a lot of indoor photos of my grandson next month (haven't seen him since July and I can't wait to spoil the crap out of him), and I seem to be having trouble with using flash indoors (I have the K100D also). Thanks for the info.

It was taken with a Pentax AF 540 flash with a bounce card. I've found that the built-in flash is ok in a pinch, but I don't like to use it for portraits because of red-eye. I get really good results with the 540 and a bounce card (ABetterBounceCard.com)

--
Al
12-24-2007, 04:22 PM   #15
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus




Join Date: May 2007
Location: Edmonton Alberta, Canada
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,643
Great shot and best wishes to you as well.

As for Cardinal's flash issue. You can adjust Ev comp and get better results but you can also take one of the white semi transparent 35mm film canisters. Cut a hole in the side of the canister and slip it over the flash. Works as a great diffuser as long as you are within 10 feet or so of the subjects. I keep a couple in the bag at all times and they do a good job of softening the light.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, photo
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cityscape Quiet Spot The Raven Photo Critique 7 10-23-2010 06:08 PM
QUIET, so QUIET!!! K-5 was delivered today!! luke0622 Pentax K-5 & K-5 II 8 10-18-2010 08:59 PM
Landscape Quiet Time daacon Post Your Photos! 12 08-06-2010 04:46 AM
Landscape Quiet shore Pablom Post Your Photos! 3 07-23-2010 07:01 AM
Night quiet time mikedy Post Your Photos! 1 05-24-2010 08:32 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:32 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top