Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Sorry cat!
Lens: Panagor 90mm/f2.8 Camera: Pentax K-r Photo Location: Living Room ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/180s Aperture: F11 
Posted By: loco, 12-26-2011, 12:00 PM

My cat Snickers beat me at a game of Sorry! this morning. This was taken with my Panagor 90/2.8 macro lens. Focus isn't perfect, but I still thought it was cute.

Hope you like this. Many thanks for looking.

Attached Images

Views: 1,495
12-26-2011, 12:04 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The grand master makes his (her?) move?
12-26-2011, 02:38 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
that's a great shot and pretty funny too.
12-26-2011, 03:07 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jolepp Quote
The grand master makes his (her?) move?
He's quite good! Thank you, jolepp!

QuoteOriginally posted by EyeSpy Quote
that's a great shot and pretty funny too.
Thanks so much, EyeSpy!

12-26-2011, 03:08 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Now that is too cute, what is next, chess?
12-26-2011, 05:01 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by loco Quote
Focus isn't perfect, but I still thought it was cute.
It's a great photo. Mind you, I am biased when it comes down to cat photos.

Maybe not TECHNICALLY perfect if you're worried about the focus but who really cares unless you're looking for that.

I believe that there are two types of photos the 'technically perfect' photos and the 'great' photos. They are often different and the 'great' photos are generally a lot of fun.
12-26-2011, 06:23 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mtansley Quote
I believe that there are two types of photos the 'technically perfect' photos and the 'great' photos.
Hi

Quite true, but these days more often than not in PP you can put the two together and make a "perfectly great" photo. This OP's shot here doesn't really need to be perfect or adjusting (well perhaps a bit less yellow cast) and it doesn't even need to be titled the way it is, it tells it's own story.

Nice I like it !

Greetings

12-26-2011, 07:29 PM - 2 Likes   #8
Veteran Member

I agree, I don't think it needs anything either.

In fact I think at times that there is too much emphasis on making that 'great' & 'perfect' photo. Why should they have to be both.

A photo like this exists on it's own and tells a fun story.

Actually, that's one reason I like hanging around this site, I've posted some of my own 'great' but not 'perfect' photos and got a nice response. People enjoying the photo for what it is.

Long may that continue here!!
12-26-2011, 08:20 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
Now that is too cute, what is next, chess?
Thank you so much, Bob! Always happy to see your comments! I've been taking some chess pics, too, but so far Snickers has not taken an interest.

It's a great photo. Mind you, I am biased when it comes down to cat photos.

Maybe not TECHNICALLY perfect if you're worried about the focus but who really cares unless you're looking for that.

I believe that there are two types of photos the 'technically perfect' photos and the 'great' photos. They are often different and the 'great' photos are generally a lot of fun.
QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
Hi

Quite true, but these days more often than not in PP you can put the two together and make a "perfectly great" photo. This OP's shot here doesn't really need to be perfect or adjusting (well perhaps a bit less yellow cast) and it doesn't even need to be titled the way it is, it tells it's own story.

Nice I like it !

Greetings

In fact I think at times that there is too much emphasis on making that 'great' & 'perfect' photo. Why should they have to be both.

Actually, that's one reason I like hanging around this site, I've posted some of my own 'great' but not 'perfect' photos and got a nice response. People enjoying the photo for what it is.

An interesting discussion, mtansley and Schraubstock! First, thanks so much for your kind words! I'm so happy you like the pic!

I would agree that there is more to a photo than technical perfection. Of course, it's nice to have both technical/story aspects. Unfortunately, I have often found myself deleting perfectly good "story" shots because they are slightly out of focus or whatever nitpick. I just couldn't lose this one. I debated whether to post it, and now I'm glad I did. And part of the reason I did is having seen some great shots posted here that perhaps weren't "perfect" but were very special nonetheless.

As for the yellow cast, guilty! It was a warm morning sun shining through the window, but perhaps not that warm. lol

Thanks again for the nice comments.
12-26-2011, 08:21 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi
I totally agree with everything you say. Especially where you say - "there is too much emphasis on making that 'great' & 'perfect' photo."

Then of course there is the reverse to be observed here from time to time, where a great photo is totally buggered up by the desire to make it prettier than what mother nature already provided.

On the other hand if there is scope to improve the image a bit, like in this case here just remove a wee bit of that yellow cast, why not try it, as long as it doesn't completely change the image. However if it can't be improved meaningfully by just some simple adjustments, ... don't.

Just my thoughts, I don't mean to step on anybody's toes.

Greetings
12-26-2011, 08:32 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hi
I totally agree with everything you say. Especially where you say - "there is too much emphasis on making that 'great' & 'perfect' photo."

Then of course there is the reverse to be observed here from time to time, where a great photo is totally buggered up by the desire to make it prettier than what mother nature already provided.

On the other hand if there is scope to improve the image a bit, like in this case here just remove a wee bit of that yellow cast, why not try it, as long as it doesn't completely change the image. However if it can't be improved meaningfully by just some simple adjustments, ... don't.

Just my thoughts, I don't mean to step on anybody's toes.

Greetings
Here you go. I took a bit of the yellow out. The tilt has to stay, I don't want to chop any more of his ears off! Hope this is better...
Attached Images

12-26-2011, 08:46 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by loco Quote
Here you go. I took a bit of the yellow out. The tilt has to stay, I don't want to chop any more of his ears off! Hope this is better...
That is the sort of improvement I/we are talking about, now with it's imperfections it is perfect. That's all it needed. I am a happy viewer.
Do you yourself think it is an improvement ?

Greetings
12-26-2011, 08:50 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
That is the sort of improvement I/we are talking about, now with it's imperfections it is perfect. That's all it needed. I am a happy viewer.
Do you yourself think it is an improvement ?

Greetings
Thanks! I do sometimes tend to push the WB a bit warm and this time I didn't back off. I do think the less yellow shot is better, and I think you can still tell the warm light of the sun is shining through the window. Thanks for the suggestion!
12-26-2011, 09:37 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Interesting, until you mentioned a yellow cast I hadn't noticed it. Now I can see the difference, I think it does look better.

Everything else is fine, now it's 'great' AND 'purrfect'. Sorry, couldn't resist!

It has been an interesting discussion, a 'true' discussion, hopefully there will be more.

And I have to warn you that I'm still very biased in favour of cat photos!
12-26-2011, 11:30 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

And I have to warn you that I'm still very biased in favour of cat photos!
Thanks for the warning, personally I am not too fond of them, I just tolerate them.

As to your comment re interesting discussions I totally agree with you. I enjoy exchanges of opinions and ideas. I have a thing with colours (at one stage I had a professional involvement) and always strive to get them right and I am not afraid to tell people when corrections are required/desired.(Politely of course) But, oh boy, do I get sometimes abusive messages. So much so I sometimes felt like quitting this forum because of it.

In reality I am not a bad guy, if I had any friends they could confirm this.

Greetings