Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Christmas Eve Hike in the High Country
Lens: Takumar 200mm F3.5, Super Takumar 35mm F3.5 Camera: Pentax K-x Photo Location: Northern Colorado 
Posted By: Colorado CJ, 12-26-2011, 12:24 PM

I went snowshoeing Christmas Eve wanting to try out my new Tak 200mm F3.5 on some wildlife. I looked most of the day, and seen a few elk, but was pretty much skunked on finding any real wildlife, which is somewhat rare for me. I did find a mulie, but I spooked him when I dug in my bag to switch lenses. Oh well, it was great being out in nature anyway!

I took a few shots along the way, both with my Tak 200mm F3.5 and my new Super Tak 35mm F3.5.

Here they are in no particular order.

Mountain vista shot with the Tak 200

Small herd of cow elk, also shot with the Tak 200. They were pretty fidgety, so I wasn't able to get too close to them. I spent about 40 minutes trying to get close, but there was a road nearby and whenever a car passed they all got a little spooked.

This is a shot of my footprints in the snow, I was tracking some mulie buck's prints, but I spooked him and he bounded away, out from under some trees. This was at around 10,500 ft.

Shot with the Super Tak 35mm

This is just a shot of a cliff face. I liked the light on the rock, really made the orange color stand out. Shot with the Super Tak 35.

Not a great day of picture taking, but I guess there will always be those days. I did shoeshoe about 6 miles and was out in the fresh air and sunshine though. You can never have too much of that!
Views: 995
12-26-2011, 12:31 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How could it not be a great day with views like that? Thanks for sharing the beautiful landscape!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-26-2011, 03:16 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Love the view from there CJ, a true "Rocky Mountain High".
12-26-2011, 07:52 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
How could it not be a great day with views like that? Thanks for sharing the beautiful landscape!
Thanks. Don't get me wrong, it WAS a great day I just got skunked on the photography side, didn't have any real keepers and the wildlife was hiding from me.

12-26-2011, 07:54 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
Love the view from there CJ, a true "Rocky Mountain High".
Thanks Bob. I often have that tune going through my head when up there. Probably not many people's cup of tea, but John Denver made some pretty nice music.
12-26-2011, 09:28 PM   #6
jac
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Beautiful scenery. See what you mean about the elk; heads high and ready to run!
12-27-2011, 02:04 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thanks for sharing the "fruits" of your great hike!

12-27-2011, 05:57 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jac Quote
Beautiful scenery. See what you mean about the elk; heads high and ready to run!
Thanks jac, yeah, you can never get too much of this scenery! The elk are actually MUCH easier to get close to when they are further away from "civilization". At times I've gotten so close I could smell them (10-20 ft). Not this time though.
12-27-2011, 05:58 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mole Quote
Thanks for sharing the "fruits" of your great hike!
Thanks mole, I'm always happy to share my photos. It wouldn't be near as fun for me to just keep them all to myself.