Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
Plenty of Fungus "among us"
Lens: DA 35 macro, Tamron adaptall 90mm, etc Camera: K-M Photo Location: East Tennessee 
Posted By: mole, 12-27-2011, 02:29 PM

Most fungi thrive on moisture and decaying plant materials. That's why late Autumn is an ideal time for fungus diversity.

Have been trying to document some of the varied fungal species here in the East Tennessee hills. Will work on identification later, but wanted to share a few of the more interesting varieties.

This is one of the many Amanita species - a few are edible, most are poisonous... (Taken with Tamron 90mm macro plus 2XTC)

Most mushrooms fit in one of two categories - under the cap are either gills or pores. Here's one of our most common pore fungi - the Turkeytail fungus (or it might be false Turkeytail, not sure), along with a yet-to-be identified gill fungus. (Taken with DA 35 macro)

And here's a tiny gill fungus growing from a pine log. The tree fell on one of our mountain bike trails (and was cut out of the way) about a year ago. To give you an idea of the size, notice the growth rings... (taken with DA 35 macro).

This Oyster Fungus (maybe??) has sprouted at the same location on the same dying Elm tree for three years in a row. Both tree and fungus should last at least one more year. (taken with Vivitar 28mm close-focus)

And here's another (as yet unidentified) gill fungus growing on a dying Tulip Poplar tree. (Taken with the DA 35 macro)

Here are some tiny gilled mushrooms on a standing, moss-covered dead elm (Mushroom species are often very specific as to which "host wood" can nurture them, so it's helpful to notice which tree they are growing on).

Will only post one more fungus species, so as not to bore you too much. These were growing out of a very decayed stump up at Pond Mountain. Have no idea yet of the species, but Pond Mt is a great place for the rare and unusual...

If this winter continues as wet as it's started, we should have many more opportunities to study East Tennessee mushrooms in the coming months. Hope you enjoyed the fungus tour, and will share your comments & critique!
Views: 3,204
12-27-2011, 02:57 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
These would be good for a mushroom field guide .
12-27-2011, 03:18 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great series, detailed & crisp, interesting to view.

cheers
12-27-2011, 03:42 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nice photos. Interesting shrooms, makes me want to get out and see what kind I can find around my area.

12-27-2011, 07:08 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I never thought I would say that fungus is beautiful, but your photographs have changed my mind. Will you share this knowledge with your students that visit you. Great narrative and photography, I really enjoyed the thread
12-27-2011, 07:13 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Just love the Gill Mushrooms photos, nice colour contrast against the moss!
12-27-2011, 07:40 PM   #7
Forum Member

I like all your mushrooms but #3 and #6 are my favorites.
Tina

12-28-2011, 06:38 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Jolepp - Thanks so much! These will be used to help our park with mushroom ID, and to help teach park visitors about native fungi...

Cee Cee - Thanks for your kind words!

Bluestringer - Very nice to hear - my main goal in photography is to inspire others to go out & experience for themselves. Will look forward to seeing your fungus photos posted here soon!

Bob - Thanks so much - glad you enjoyed both fungus and descriptions! Yes, these will be a small part of our park's on-going environmental education efforts.

Bruce - Thanks! Those were some of my favorites too!

Tina - Thanks for the kind words and helpful feedback.
12-28-2011, 10:01 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Beautiful series of images.

marcus
12-29-2011, 05:15 PM   #10
jac
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Beautiful Series

Don't mean to intrude mole, but as you commented fungi are very much a niche organism and heavily reliant on a specific and often decaying host. I couldn't help thinking of our own wet fall up here in the Arctic (late summer to you folks!) and a little species that is probably not even related but so very, very similar to your #6. The host in this case is decaying peat under a luxuriant moss cover. This, too, was the wonderful little 35mm macro.
Attached Images

12-30-2011, 09:27 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Great shots! You gotta get real low to get awesome shots like these!
Nice work, Tom
12-30-2011, 05:13 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Wow - the texture in these terrific shots is amazing. Great job.

Jer