Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
the Unknown
Lens: 80-320mm Camera: K-5 Photo Location: Arizona 
Posted By: Bob Harris, 12-28-2011, 12:07 AM

I took this photo of a grave site that is within the confines of the Pioneer Cemetery in Ehrenberg, Arizona. The cemetery was established in 1862 to bury the unknown that died crossing the arid deserts of Arizona.

Attached Images

Views: 946
12-28-2011, 06:24 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice use of tint here. I really like the subject matter and the dark corners here, but I think a difference crop could work better- maybe go vertical?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-28-2011, 12:57 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Nice use of tint here. I really like the subject matter and the dark corners here, but I think a difference crop could work better- maybe go vertical?
Adam, I think the shot may be a bit tight, I could of opened it up a bit, I was getting sun on the cactus and tried to highlight that as well as the grave site. Thanks for commenting, I will give that a try, but not sure if it will improve the photo.

Last edited by Bob Harris; 12-28-2011 at 01:06 PM.
12-28-2011, 01:38 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Maybe the crop could be better, but I really love this, Bob! Great processing which gives it a very somber feel. Well done!

12-28-2011, 05:11 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by loco Quote
Maybe the crop could be better, but I really love this, Bob! Great processing which gives it a very somber feel. Well done!
Lori, I took the photo in the "toy camera" filter mode in camera, it gives an old photo look. Somber is what I was looking for and I am not really sure how I could crop it any different looking at the original, so I am happy with what I got, sort of like my Christmas presents.
12-28-2011, 05:15 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Cool - erie shot. I dig it just the way it is. I'm normally not too hot on tints, but this one works very well, in my view.

Jer
12-28-2011, 07:03 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
Lori, I took the photo in the "toy camera" filter mode in camera, it gives an old photo look. Somber is what I was looking for and I am not really sure how I could crop it any different looking at the original, so I am happy with what I got, sort of like my Christmas presents.
It's a wonderful effect, one I may have to try in the near future!! It definitely conveyed the appropriate mood in this case.

And I have certainly taken photos and had people tell me I should crop it differently. Unfortunately, sometimes it just won't crop any differently!! FWIW, I like the crop just fine!

12-28-2011, 08:13 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Bob, I do like this photo the way it is, like others have said it has a sort of somber look and I think that the crop works well.
12-29-2011, 02:17 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Cool - erie shot. I dig it just the way it is. I'm normally not too hot on tints, but this one works very well, in my view.

Jer
thanks Jer, I was just playing with the in-camera filters on this one. Thanks for looking, always appreciated.
12-29-2011, 02:58 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi

I bet who ever it is, resting below, was a bit of a prickly character. (Forgive me I can't resist these opportunities)

Just for interest I have increased, quite strongly, vignetting and your image started to look enormously powerful.
And I would not crop this pic, looks good as it is.

Greetings
(And carry on with your stressful retirement job.)
12-29-2011, 06:56 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Heinrich Lohmann Quote
Bob, I do like this photo the way it is, like others have said it has a sort of somber look and I think that the crop works well.
thank you Heinrich, the cemetery is indeed very somber
12-29-2011, 01:54 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
Hi

I bet who ever it is, resting below, was a bit of a prickly character. (Forgive me I can't resist these opportunities)

Just for interest I have increased, quite strongly, vignetting and your image started to look enormously powerful.
And I would not crop this pic, looks good as it is.

Greetings
(And carry on with your stressful retirement job.)
thanks for looking and commenting, I will try adding a little more vignetting, but many times I have found that I over edit, so it is just best to leave the photo as is. This cemetery contains about 100 grave sites and there are actually a couple that have headstones. Temps often reach near 120 degrees but cactus grow quite well here. I will post a more complete view of the cemetery later, it is a great place to spend eternal retirement.
12-30-2011, 12:22 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by loco Quote
It's a wonderful effect, one I may have to try in the near future!! It definitely conveyed the appropriate mood in this case.

And I have certainly taken photos and had people tell me I should crop it differently. Unfortunately, sometimes it just won't crop any differently!! FWIW, I like the crop just fine!
thank you Lori, Charlie does a lot of in-camera editing and that is where I got the idea, sometimes you can make a not so good photo look presentable. take care.