Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
So bright, it's dark
Lens: FA 50mm 1.4 Camera: K10D Photo Location: My bedroom ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/180s Aperture: F13.5 
Posted By: xfloggingkylex, 12-28-2011, 01:45 PM

This picture was the first test of my off camera lighting setup I got from midwest photo. I have been reading the Strobist for a month or two now and one thing that he said that always caught me off guard was that "with enough light, you can make a white background black". It struck me because it just doesn't make sense, sure you can use a flash to blow out dark colors to look white, but how do you add light to make white look black??

Anyways, this shot was to attempt what the saying means. Obviously the lamp is very bright, so to get any detail from the lit filament I had to really close up the exposure. 1/180 is max sync speed, ISO 100, time to start stopping down the aperture. At f/13 I finally got the filament to have the orange glow that I really wanted (since I was using it for a photo contest with friends for the word "Glow". Then its just about cranking up the flash to light the rest of the shot.

Views: 828
12-28-2011, 03:35 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well done!!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-29-2011, 07:23 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks Adam. I know it's a simple shot but I really like the way it turned out to represent exactly what I was aiming for.