Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Snowmobile fun!!!!
Posted By: mtnbearhug, 12-24-2007, 08:56 PM

Went playin in this snow this weekend and got some great shots !!!!! I am dividiing them up into two posts so they are not to long. These are the boring ones.. lol I was using my 80 - 200 pentax for most of these.

I love the color in this one as well as the snow behind my bf is almost haloish....

In this one, my bf was going to try and hookie bob behind the sled and got a mouth full of snow instead.. It was pretty funny...but he took it in stride as you can tell...

This is cookie that I tried to put together in a pano.. but well .. it didn't work to well.. but hopefully you get the idea...

CC is always welcome... Enjoy Kim
Views: 2,504
12-24-2007, 10:37 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Both series look good to me Kim

Great mends must think alike, I've spoken to a couple of snowmobilers and wil be photographing them some time soon
12-26-2007, 09:32 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Stu....

QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
Both series look good to me Kim

Great mends must think alike, I've spoken to a couple of snowmobilers and wil be photographing them some time soon
Thanks Stu.. It was a lot of fun... I look forward to seeing some you of your pics.. The only thing I wished I would of done is set up tripod at times.. It would of helped when it came to the capturing them doing thier cookies I think..

Happy New Year.. Kim
12-26-2007, 09:52 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I don't know Kim, I just can't imagine using a tripod for any action shots.
They just move too fast

However with a tripod and a remote you can photograph yourself on the sleds

12-27-2007, 06:53 AM   #5
Veteran Member

It might not be a pano but it is certainly a nice series shot - it tells a story in ONE image - film-strip-like.

I would have to agree with Stu on the tripod. You won't get good action shots with a tripod. Had you tried a panning shots? It's not easy but the end results (for the good ones) are well worth it.

Can't remember his name, but one of the members does it all the time with cars.
12-29-2007, 08:36 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Tripod

QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
I don't know Kim, I just can't imagine using a tripod for any action shots. They just move too fast However with a tripod and a remote you can photograph yourself on the sleds
I never thought about the remote and filming myself... hmmmm thats a good idea... now all I need is the remote!!!

QuoteOriginally posted by JCSullivan Quote
I would have to agree with Stu on the tripod. You won't get good action shots with a tripod.
What I was thinkin with the Tripod is that it would be level so that I could get the cookie from start to finish in one level plane from left to right. Since usually once they get a piece of snow glazed that is where they keep going. That way I could just layer the shots together as one shot the showed the whole spin?? Maybe that is alittle far fetched but I may still have to try it...

QuoteOriginally posted by JCSullivan Quote
Had you tried a panning shots? It's not easy but the end results (for the good ones) are well worth it.
I guess I really dont know what a panning shot is?? (showing my greenness).. Is that when you follow the image with the camera? If that is the case then I have tried that and it is a bit difficult...

Thanks for the feedback and comments!! Happy New Year.. Kim
12-29-2007, 09:11 PM   #7
Veteran Member

You'll love the challenge of Panning Kim
It's when you follow the object with the camera and snap off a few pictures.
If you maintain the same speed as the object, which is hard to do you'll have the moving object appear to be standing still while the background is moving

12-29-2007, 09:53 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Kim,
I have tried to ride one of these things...so I have the greatest respect for anyone who looks so relaxed on them.

Good captures, but I would echo what Stu says, practise your panning technique and you will get some great shots.

Cheers
12-30-2007, 04:00 AM   #9
Veteran Member

In that case, yes, I would suppose you could try the tripod - so long as the snow/ice/truck-bed are solid enough to hold it in place.

Then you could use the overlay mode in your imaging program. Good luck.
12-30-2007, 07:46 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Looks fun.
12-30-2007, 08:44 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Great shots Kim - I like them all. I was doing some sledding myslef over the holidays - it was a tougher choice than I thought (Pictures of people sledding or sledding myself) I guess the kid in me won and the camera stayed in the cabin (no regrets!).